while trying to configure yapsnmp-0.7.8, i get the following..

checking for patch... patch
checking for kstat_open in -lkstat... no
checking for socket in -lsocket... no
checking for HMAC in -lcrypto... no
checking for init_snmp in -lsnmp... no
configure: error: Couldn't find libsnmp

what might be the reason?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You probably did not install a package containing libsnmp on your machine (I assume you're running linux). Try to list the available packages which name contains 'snmp'. Also use google with the name of your OS and the word libsnmp.

You probably did not install a package containing libsnmp on your machine (I assume you're running linux). Try to list the available packages which name contains 'snmp'. Also use google with the name of your OS and the word libsnmp.

i downloaded the libsnmp package from the following site

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Libraries/libsnmp-19579.shtml

the installation was successful. still i get the above mentioned message. what is the path that yapsnmp searches to find libsnmp?

i downloaded the libsnmp package from the following site

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Libraries/libsnmp-19579.shtml

the installation was successful. still i get the above mentioned message. what is the path that yapsnmp searches to find libsnmp?

I can't tell you where yapsnmp looks for libsnmp. On my mandriva system I have

[~] sudo updatedb
[~] locate libsnmp
/usr/lib64/libsnmp.so.15
/usr/lib64/libsnmp.so.15.1.2
/usr/lib64/libsnmp.so.20
/usr/lib64/libsnmp.so.20.0.0

You probably shouldn't have downloaded libsnmp from softpedia.com. Most libraries are available in packages specific to your linux distribution (ubuntu perhaps ?). So you should first learn about your software manager and find which package contains libsnmp and install that package correctly. Only programs which don't exist in packages should be installed 'by hand' (this is probably the case of yapsnmp).

I can't tell you where yapsnmp looks for libsnmp. On my mandriva system I have

[~] sudo updatedb
[~] locate libsnmp
/usr/lib64/libsnmp.so.15
/usr/lib64/libsnmp.so.15.1.2
/usr/lib64/libsnmp.so.20
/usr/lib64/libsnmp.so.20.0.0

You probably shouldn't have downloaded libsnmp from softpedia.com. Most libraries are available in packages specific to your linux distribution (ubuntu perhaps ?). So you should first learn about your software manager and find which package contains libsnmp and install that package correctly. Only programs which don't exist in packages should be installed 'by hand' (this is probably the case of yapsnmp).

I am using a Debian system and could locate this

Debian:/usr/lib/python2.5# locate libsnmp.so
/usr/lib/libsnmp.so.15
/usr/lib/libsnmp.so.15.1.0

yet i have the above error

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.