Ok.. so uptil now I've been using the DOS compiler and IDE for C++, version 3.0 by borland...(which is like ancient history).. But now I think it's about time to upgrade :P So since I have been away from C++ for a loooooong time, I need to start from scratch.

Which means, I need to know what to download for the compiler, IDE, blah blah blah anything important that I might need while programming for c++.

Im using windows 7 (on my macbook pro :P).

I have no trouble running c++ on the OSX (using G++ ofc). But yeah, I need to install the compiler AND the IDE for windows 7.

Thanks for the help :)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

MSVC, code::blocks, all the rest of the normal IDEs, etc.

Pretty much just google "C++ IDE", and take your pick at random if you have no preference.

I use MSVC 2008.

code::blocks looks good :) thanks :)

windows 7 on mac? O.O

I would highly recommend the Bloodshed Dev-C++ compiler.
(which also includes an integrated development environment!)

It is fairly simple to use, intuitive, packs a load of features, and is free! :D
You can obtain a copy from Bloodshed's website here: http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

Let me know what you think.

Dev-C++ is outdated. The version of GCC that comes with it is 3.4! The current version of gcc is 4.4.5. We have also encountered several people posting threads on this forum about problems related to DevC++, including compatibility issues with the newer versions of Windows (Vista and 7). So I wouldn't recommend it for those reasons, regardless of the nice features it may have.

CodeBlocks or VS (Express) would be the way to go if you want an IDE. Certainly for the compiler alone, GCC is the best (that is free.. if you have an endless money supply, you could get the intel compiler (ICC) which is the only one that is better than GCC).

Dev-C++ is outdated. The version of GCC that comes with it is 3.4! The current version of gcc is 4.4.5. We have also encountered several people posting threads on this forum about problems related to DevC++, including compatibility issues with the newer versions of Windows (Vista and 7). So I wouldn't recommend it for those reasons, regardless of the nice features it may have.

CodeBlocks or VS (Express) would be the way to go if you want an IDE. Certainly for the compiler alone, GCC is the best (that is free.. if you have an endless money supply, you could get the intel compiler (ICC) which is the only one that is better than GCC).

You are right about Dev-C++ using an older version of the Mingw port of GCC, but I don't consider the IDE to be outdated. I am currently running the Beta 5 version and it has no problems under Windows 7. But then of course, I don't do much advanced programming, I am still an intermediate with C++.

All in all though, if you "have" to use Windows its a fine compiler.
Now if you were going to use linux *sigh, if only...* then you wouldn't have a problem trying to find an advanced bug-free IDE (If only Windows was so simple)

I would have to agree with mike 2000 17, on that the GCC is about is good as you can
get for a compiler alone. But the reason I did not mention it in the first place was
due to the fact that you probably want an IDE package, with compiler. It makes a much simpler programming experience.

This is why I would recommend CodeBlocks as an IDE because it is made for and comes with GCC (from MinGW of course), for free, single installer, no trouble, out-of-the-box kinda thing. And as an IDE, CodeBlocks is "critically acclaimed". You should try it out.

The reason why an up-to-date IDE and compiler is important is mostly because the C++ standard and standard libraries are constantly upgrading (especially now with the new, upcoming standard C++0x). An older version might do fine for some time for some basic programming but it will get very annoying when you start to try more advanced stuff and you will get extremely frustrated and demoralized if you are trying example codes from, say, www.cplusplus.com, and they are not working on your out-dated compiler and don't understand why.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.