Could you please help me,

i need to extract the fields which are Highlighted
and moreover i want to extract in the following way.
starting from the first column i have to go n(say n=13) lines down and extract "Records" field value.

P.s Please find the attached document which clearly explains the problem.

Thanks in advance

kanth

Edited by kanthmca3: problem description not clear

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by thekashyap

Awk is probably the best tool for this, if you must do it in shell. Awk is a small programming language of its own, so I will leave it to you to learn it well enough to do this job. You might like to start here (or: See my signature) ... If this is not a "one time only" task, consider doing it in perl or python: Much easier to maintain as requirements change.

Edited by griswolf: n/a

First off, if you intend to perform text processing using shell tools you must learn to convert your data into pure text. MS Word is no-no. Also, you must post the data you want to process only, not something annotated with your comments at top or bottom.

griswolf>> Awk is probably the best tool for this
Perhaps you didn't get a chance to see the text to be parsed. There is a table but that's just a part of what he wants + things like "starting from the first column i have to go n(say n=13) lines down and extract "Records" field value".

IMHO sed is more fitting. See here.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.