Could you please help me,

i need to extract the fields which are Highlighted
and moreover i want to extract in the following way.
starting from the first column i have to go n(say n=13) lines down and extract "Records" field value.

P.s Please find the attached document which clearly explains the problem.

Thanks in advance

kanth

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Awk is probably the best tool for this, if you must do it in shell. Awk is a small programming language of its own, so I will leave it to you to learn it well enough to do this job. You might like to start here (or: See my signature) ... If this is not a "one time only" task, consider doing it in perl or python: Much easier to maintain as requirements change.

First off, if you intend to perform text processing using shell tools you must learn to convert your data into pure text. MS Word is no-no. Also, you must post the data you want to process only, not something annotated with your comments at top or bottom.

griswolf>> Awk is probably the best tool for this
Perhaps you didn't get a chance to see the text to be parsed. There is a table but that's just a part of what he wants + things like "starting from the first column i have to go n(say n=13) lines down and extract "Records" field value".

IMHO sed is more fitting. See here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.