hi there,
i have a question in coping a file to machine in the network
i use the below code

public string UploadFile(string ID,string Phase,string source,string fileName)
        {
            string path = @"\Server-003\F\Details\Reports\" + ID + @"\Phase" + Phase + @"\Proposal";
            Directory.CreateDirectory(path);

//string folderPath = path.Substring(0,slashIndexLast);

string[] files = Directory.GetFiles(path);
            for (int r = 0; r < files.Length; r++)
            {
                int dotIndexLast = files[r].LastIndexOf(".");
                int slashIndexLast = files[r].LastIndexOf("\\"); 

string fileWithName = files[r].Substring((slashIndexLast+1), ((dotIndexLast-1) - slashIndexLast));
                if (fileWithName.Equals(fileName))
                    File.Delete(files[r]);
            }

int sdot = source.LastIndexOf(".");
            string sourceExt = source.Substring(sdot,(source.Length-sdot));

string copyFile = path +@"\"+fileName+""+ sourceExt;
            File.Copy(source, copyFile);
            return copyFile;   
        }

but when i run the code
it copies the fiel in the c drive creating the folder path as " \Server-003\F\Details\Reports\" + ID + @"\Phase" + Phase + @"\Proposal "

how do i give the path to the machine i want to copy the files

please can some one give me some guidence
thanxxxxx

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You were almost there. In the windows environnement, another machined is defined by "\\". Which means your path would be "\\Server-003\".

The path you created means ("\Server-003\F\Details\Reports\"), go at the root level ('/') and create the folder structure. Note that if you had no slashes, it would mean, from current directory, and as I said, double black slashes ('\\') means completly another environment. If you take a quick pick on a computer of your network, it's probaby gonna show as either \\192.168.0.x or \\Daddy-PC.

Hope this helps!

You were almost there. In the windows environnement, another machined is defined by "\\". Which means your path would be "\\Server-003\".

The path you created means ("\Server-003\F\Details\Reports\"), go at the root level ('/') and create the folder structure. Note that if you had no slashes, it would mean, from current directory, and as I said, double black slashes ('\\') means completly another environment. If you take a quick pick on a computer of your network, it's probaby gonna show as either \\192.168.0.x or \\Daddy-PC.

Hope this helps!

wow
thanks

wow
thanks

No problem ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.