1.What is diffrence Between NULL and '/0' characters?
2.Does the last cell os a string has NULL or '/0'?

Gooooooogle got me this URL. \0 is the null terminator to a string. It's sometimes handy with all arrays to have a unique terminator, but usually not possible.

Edited 5 Years Ago by seanbp: n/a

NULL is a macro defined in <stddef.h> for the null pointer.

Its not '/0' its '\0'

'\0' is defined to be a null character, a character with all bits set to zero.Used as end of string.

All the functions found in string.h expect character arrays to be terminated with a '\0' character. For example char Hello[] = {'H','E','L','L','O','\0'} An easier way to code the same is char Hello[] = "Hello"; In that case the compiler will add the '\0' character to the end of the string for you.

NULL is a macro which is normally used with pointers, such as char* Hello = NULL; The exact definition of NULL is compiler dependent, but normally defined as either (char *)0 or just 0.

BTW there is no difference between '\0' and 0, they are interchangable.

>The exact definition of NULL is compiler dependent, but normally defined as either (char *)0 or just 0.
I haven't seen NULL defined as (char*)0 and I don't suspect any compilers have done so after the generic pointer type was introduced to C. While char* and void* have the same alignment properties, the implicit conversion rules of void* don't apply to char*, and use of NULL (if defined as char*) would require rather liberal casting. The two most common definitions are:

#define NULL 0

and

#define NULL ((void*)0)

>BTW there is no difference between '\0' and 0, they are interchangable.
Though the usual advice applies. Prefer NULL only for pointer context, '\0' only for character context, and 0 when NULL and '\0 don't apply. Not only does this guideline improve the clarity of one's code, it also avoids sticky typing issues that may arise in C and most certainly arise if C++ compatibility is a goal.

>>I haven't seen NULL defined as (char*)0

Most MS-DOS compilers defined it that way before c++ and void keyword were invented. But of course you are correct that void* is now used instead of char*.

Edited 5 Years Ago by Ancient Dragon: n/a

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.