Hello DaniWeb!

I am interested in learning computer programming, but have no previous experience. I've been told that Python is a good place to start, so I decided to give it a whirl. If anyone can help point me toward resources geared for the absolute beginner (learning both programming concepts and coding) it would be greatly appreciated! If there is already a post on this topic could someone link me to it?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Go to the main Python website (python.org I believe) download the appropriate installer, and go through the tutorials with the included manual.

Alright! Will do! Do you know of any resources for basic programming logic? Or does the python website cover that sufficiently? Or does it assume that you know another language or even basic concepts? Like I said, I'm completely new to this and want to be sure I understand the basics before jumping into it and getting discouraged.

Ok... I've checked out the site and found in the section for beginning for non-programmers there seems to be a few articles that may help me out.

Take a look at the "Starting Python" sticky at the top of this forum. There are many resources, including the Google (free) online course.

commented: worth it +13

Alright! Will do! Do you know of any resources for basic programming logic? Or does the python website cover that sufficiently? Or does it assume that you know another language or even basic concepts? Like I said, I'm completely new to this and want to be sure I understand the basics before jumping into it and getting discouraged.

Don't worry, the tutorial in the manual is just perfect for learning the basics of programming.

Thank you guys! Anyone reading this who is also new to programming check out the article "Instant Hacking" on the python site. It is under documentation>tutorials>non-programmers. Sorry I don't have a link I'm at work and on my iPhone and I don't know how to link. I'll be sure to check the tutorial in the manual next. Another question, after I have the basics down, what is a good language to learn for a career in programming? I know different languages have their strong points but I'm looking for one that is good for making applications for windows or even linux. And maybe making games on the side for fun and practice.

And keep trying. Dont give up. ;)

Well you can continue on with python (especially since its popularity is only increasing now) but you should also check out C, C++, Java, C#, and PHP. There is no best language, only a best suited language to meet specific goals (C/C++ for speed, Java Python and C# for portability and fast development, and PHP for web programming). Also keep in mind that there are many programming languages out there that are worth looking into; the ones I mentioned are good but don't rule anything out before actually learning it.

commented: good points +13

Rule of thumb is that it takes about ten good C++ programmers to do what 1 good Python program can accomplish in a given time span. So, yeah there are a lot more C++ jobs out there!

On could imagine that with the help of AI future computers could do the bulk of the programming chores themselves.

Haha sounds like C++ has good future job outlook!

When learning any programming language including python, the most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to practice what you learned. Programming is all about practicing yourself either you do it at home or in an institute. Whereas Python is easy to learn, with a simple syntax, unlike Java and C++ which has very complicated syntax. It is a general-purpose interpreted, interactive, object-oriented, and high-level programming language with dynamic semantics. Python is one of those rare languages which can claim to be both simple and powerful. Even learners with no programming knowledge can easily pick up the language.
You can look up for Python Online course as they will provide you with the material you need to study as in theory and for practicising programming you can visit HackerRank and start practising basic to advance level programs and remember the more you practice the better programmer you become.
All the Best!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.