I promise I read the Read This First post and also searched for relevant threads, but I didn't have any luck. I'm taking my first C++ class, and the instructor hasn't been much help when it comes to fundamental things like what compiler we should use, where to get it, how to use it, etc., so I'm on my own. I tried downloading the xcode package, but I kept being redirected to Apple where I was told I needed to log in and be a Registered Apple Developer. Now I'm trying to download GCC. I've gone to the GNU mirror sites that provide a list of links, and I'm assuming one of them is the one I need to download, but I don't know which one it is! The links have names like:
gcc-4.5.2.tar.bz2
gcc-ada-4.5.2.tar.gz
gcc-testsuite-4.5.2.tar.gz

This is so embarrassing.

I would love it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance, and I apologize for such a silly request.

Oh, and I'm using my ancient MacBook.
Edit: Mac OS X v.10.6.4 (thanks, Spartan)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What OS does your PC run?

Sounds like he is using a MAC.

What OS does your PC run?

Mac OS X v.10.6.4

You can use XCode to write C++ applications. You DO have to be registered with Apple to download XCode, but it's free, so I'd suggest you give it a try. Personally, I love XCode. An alternative to that may be the NetBeans IDE. They also have a decent amount of documentation for getting started. Good luck.

You can use XCode to write C++ applications. You DO have to be registered with Apple to download XCode, but it's free, so I'd suggest you give it a try. Personally, I love XCode. An alternative to that may be the NetBeans IDE. They also have a decent amount of documentation for getting started. Good luck.

Thanks! I've registered and will give XCode a try as soon as it's downloaded, in aboouuut 5 hours.

As for the GCC downloads, if it is still relevant to you:

gcc-4.5.2.tar.bz2 -> this is the compiler(s) and standard libraries (this is the one to download)
gcc-ada-4.5.2.tar.gz -> this has the ADA compiler (most probably useless to you)
gcc-testsuite-4.5.2.tar.gz -> this is if you want to test that GCC works correctly (don't worry about that.. don't download)

Enjoy your coding! And come back to Daniweb if you are having trouble!

As for the GCC downloads, if it is still relevant to you:

gcc-4.5.2.tar.bz2 -> this is the compiler(s) and standard libraries (this is the one to download)
gcc-ada-4.5.2.tar.gz -> this has the ADA compiler (most probably useless to you)
gcc-testsuite-4.5.2.tar.gz -> this is if you want to test that GCC works correctly (don't worry about that.. don't download)

Enjoy your coding! And come back to Daniweb if you are having trouble!

Hey thanks! Yes, that's super helpful. I'll probably be back once one of these compilers finishes downloading (five hours? really?) when I need help learning how to use it.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.