So basically what I want to do is when user clicks button1 it pops up something like a message box that has a yes and a no button. If user clicks no, then it's no. If user clicks yes, then it's yes. It's like a confirmation. To do so, I want to make a new windows form application appear when you click that button.

So two questions really:

1. How to make that happen
2. How to share data between the windows. (I need to tell my original window that the user pressed yes or no)

Recommended Answers

DialogResult result = MessageBox.Show("Please select yes or no", "Yes, no?", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Question);
            if (result == DialogResult.Yes) {
                // they pressed yes
            } else {
                // they pressed no
            }

There are a lot of other options for MessageBox, you should read …

Jump to Post

You send information, usually, in the Form2 constructor. Create a new constructor that has parameters for whatever information you need to send back to form1. To get access to the text box on form2, the best way is to create a public property that gives read access:

Somewhere in …

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

DialogResult result = MessageBox.Show("Please select yes or no", "Yes, no?", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo, MessageBoxIcon.Question);
                // they pressed yes
            } else {
                // they pressed no
            }

There are a lot of other options for MessageBox, you should read up about them :)

// they pressed yes
            } else {
                // they pressed no
            }

There are a lot of other options for MessageBox, you should read up about them :)

Yeah that helps, but that's not my core question. I'm really asking how to initiate a second form and SEND INFORMATION between them. So I can access a text box on Form 2 in form 1.

You send information, usually, in the Form2 constructor. Create a new constructor that has parameters for whatever information you need to send back to form1. To get access to the text box on form2, the best way is to create a public property that gives read access:

Somewhere in form2:

public String TextBoxData {
    get {
        return myTextBox.Text;
    }
}

Now in form1 you'd do something like

Form2 myForm2 = new Form2(parameters go here);
myForm2.ShowDialog();  // force user to interact with form2
String valueFromForm2 = myForm2.TextBoxData;

Somewhere in form2:

public String TextBoxData {
    get {
        return myTextBox.Text;
    }
}

Now in form1 you'd do something like

Form2 myForm2 = new Form2(parameters go here);
myForm2.ShowDialog();  // force user to interact with form2
String valueFromForm2 = myForm2.TextBoxData;

Newbie question: what's a constructor? Lol :D

Constructors are methods that are used to instantiate an object. For example:

class Point {
    public int X {get; set;}
    public int Y {get; set;}

public Point() {  // void constructor
        X = 0;
        Y = 0;
    }

public Point(int x, int y) {  // constructor with parameters
        X = x;
        Y = x;
    }
}

When we want to create an object, we call the constructor with the new keyword:

Point myPoint1 = new Point(); // Calls the void constructor
Point myPoint2 = new Point(3, 6); // Calls the parameterized constructor

There is a lot more to constructors, but that's the basics.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.