Hi,
I was thinking of writing simple Code editor pad like GEdit or Notepad++ but only for PHP and SQL. Now it is for hobby, so I want to use scintilla on wxWidgets and avoid wxWidgets component (purposely). So I was asking what are steps to write such pad. Also any good tutorial will be appreciated.
Currently I'm poking scite and samples at scintilla docs

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Stefano Mtangoo

Mhh! It seems very hard to do it since I will have to reinvert the whole wheel which I dont think is funny. So I think I will have to go with wxWidgets component. Now I just need the "generic" steps in creating such editor!

Just look at the GEdit source code.

I have never coded editor before (I mean source code editor). So I don't know what is needed. I have seen I at least need to include scintilla.h and scintillalexer.h
I wonder what scintillalexer is all about :-O

Uh, that's why you should look at the GEdit source code.

Let me download an have a look. But I guess I will get lost since it might be massive for new bee in scintilla realm ;)

Should be fun, did an editor for debugger before with syntax highlighting etc. Try to design everything in terms of objects, should be good learning experiance. For example create a object model for your editor and implement using classes.

Should be fun, did an editor for debugger before with syntax highlighting etc. Try to design everything in terms of objects, should be good learning experiance. For example create a object model for your editor and implement using classes.

Fun with massive GEdit code? Not at all! I have to retreat to complete wxWidgets solution, I will check the samples :)

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Be sure to adhere to our posting rules.