hi! i am making a nso system(a citizen record system w/ ms access as database)

i dont know how to make it work:

there is a citizen, then under the citizen there is subdatasheets namely:

father, mother, sibling 1-5.

all i managed to do is have ONE subdata sheet under citizen.

please help me.. tomorrow's our thesis defense and i cant find any other help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

why you need a separate table for father, mother, sibling.

Are not they citizens ?

You need to store the info of all the citizen in a single table and then map the data to proper column.

why you need a separate table for father, mother, sibling.

Are not they citizens ?

You need to store the info of all the citizen in a single table and then map the data to proper column.

yes they are citizens, however, i would like to see them in such a way that is organized. what i mean is this ... for example citizen1 has father1 and mother1.. if i add a new citizen named citizen2, father1 and mother1 will WILL BE EXCLUSIVELY for citizen 1 only..

they wont get mixed up with citizen2's parents or to any other citizen and so on.

suppose you want to store father information with all other data of citizen.
You need to add a column say father_id to citizen table.

citizen
citizen_id,
citizen_name,
citizen_add1,
citizen_add2,
father_id,

while storing data , you need to store the citizen id for the father into the fathers_id of the citizen. Sounds good ?

suppose you want to store father information with all other data of citizen.
You need to add a column say father_id to citizen table.

citizen
citizen_id,
citizen_name,
citizen_add1,
citizen_add2,
father_id,

while storing data , you need to store the citizen id for the father into the fathers_id of the citizen. Sounds good ?

actually what i meant was the tblFather IS in one to many relationship with CitizenID in tblCitizens

and so does tblMother and so on....

so the record of tblCitizen will have "7" subdatasheets showing the data stored in FatherName...
MotherName... and so on.
^_^

let me explain clearly.

Every father is a son, and is a citizen, right.

so creating a separate table for father and another one for mother won't serve any purpose.

All citizen irrespective of father , mother, son need to be stored in a single CITIZEN table.

let me explain clearly.

Every father is a son, and is a citizen, right.

so creating a separate table for father and another one for mother won't serve any purpose.

All citizen irrespective of father , mother, son need to be stored in a single CITIZEN table.

ok... soo... how do you do that?

as i said you need to have a father_id column in citizen table.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.