I've only just began learning assembly this semester and am having a problem with my assignment. I need to write a code to display 0-9 and then A-Z on a 5x7 LED matrix on a EDS-8086 board via BGC-8088.

The problem I'm having is that the Data segment (DS) overrides the Code segment (CS) every time I load the assembled file onto the board. Here is my code so far, and the data segment is just one line to display R for now~

; file name : displayr.asm
DATA	SEGMENT;	
	ASSUME DS:DATA
	ORG	002AH
	DATA1	BYTE	1EH, 11H, 11H, 1EH, 14H, 12H, 11H, 40H, 20H, 10H, 08H, 04H, 02H, 01H
DATA	ENDS

CODE	SEGMENT
	ASSUME CS:CODE
;	ORG	100H
;	MOV	AX,@DATA	;initialize DS
;	MOV	DS,AX		
	MOV	DX,0FF13H	;set 8255 mode =0
	MOV	AL,89H		;Port A, B = output
	OUT	DX,AL		;Port C = input

MAIN	PROC	FAR
	MOV	BX,[002AH]
	MOV	SI,0031H
	MOV	CX,0007H

START:	PUSH	CX
	MOV	DX,0FF10H
	MOV	AL,[BX]
	NOT 	AL
	OUT	DX,AL
	MOV	DX,0FF11H
	MOV	AL,[SI]
	OUT	DX,AL
	MOV	CX,0100
	LOOP	$
	INC	BX
	INC	SI
	POP 	CX
	LOOP	START
	JMP	MAIN
MAIN	ENDP
CODE	ENDS
	END

Not many comments since I'm not really done with it but the problem is just that the DS overrides the CS. I omitted the initialize DS register cause the problem doesn't seem to be there. I use MASM32 to compile and assemble with a 16bit linker.

Details of the BCG-8088 base register.
AX,BX,CX,DX = 0000
CS,DS,SS,ES = 0100

I figure it has something to do with the register's being the same base, tried changing their origin offset to fit but it doesn't work, still overrides. Any input will help tremendously, I'm at a wall here T.T

Aren't you commenting out initialization of the DS register? As far as I remember (from my last x86 assembler coding work around 1990), if you don't initialize DS, then it is set to CS. Sorry that my memory is so spotty about this. I was just looking at my old x86 User's Manual (from 1979) to refresh my memory of all this... :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.