i am a student of software. i need some help regarding this. am just a beginner so plz help me out....

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

yar dekho simple hai aik example deta hn agar samajh aa jae to theek hai nai to mere pass aa k sekh lena

#include<iostream.h>
#include<conio.h>
main()
{
cout<<"ram disk"<<endl;
getch();
return 0;
}

samajh na aye to is number pe call kar lena [snipped]
ya FUIEMS NEW lalazar aa k sekh lena
source
[snipped]

hey man who r u n wats ds english i cant get u.....:P:P

I'll just ignore the post above.

What do you mean "create a RAM disk"? (RAM isn't a disk...; it stands for Random Access Memory)

hey its too easy look at the eaxample if u didnt get it then come to me i will teach u

#include<iostream.h>
#include<conio.h>
main()
{
cout<<"ram disk"<<endl;
getch();
return 0;
}

if u didnt understand call me at [snipped]
otherwise come FUIEMS UNIVERSITY NEW lalazar i will teach u
[snipped]

@ venomxxl
man RAM disk is wat we call....Random Access Memory is its abbreviation.
if u can help me in making aa RAM program then plz .....

@abbass.
ur program got an error.... u r returning 0 nd didnt mention int

Basically, every program you compile is "a RAM program" because every program resides in the (virtual) memory.

@venomxxl. buddy i know that...
actualy my teacher said me to find a program of C/C++ in which you make a virtual RAM.
so now i guess you got it

Virtual memory is one of OS concepts. It is used for security and hides fragmentation. I don't know what your teacher had in mind but I think you should start by educating yourself about virtual memory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory).

You are using some confusing terminology. If you want to treat memory as if it was a disk, you might want to look into tmpfs or something like that. Or you could attempt to create your own fs "format". Are you supposed to write a driver? This seems like a hard project for "a beginner" like you stated before. Maybe you have misinterpreted what your teacher said.

@venomxxl.....hmmmm i gueesss...but its not any project..he said to get screenshot of such program.

Maybe Knoppix would be a good example. It is a Linux distro. Looks like this thread doesn't belong to C section after all.

hmmm dnt knw.....oki thanks gudnyt3

You are using some confusing terminology. If you want to treat memory as if it was a disk, you might want to look into tmpfs or something like that. Or you could attempt to create your own fs "format". Are you supposed to write a driver? This seems like a hard project for "a beginner" like you stated before. Maybe you have misinterpreted what your teacher said.

You don't know what a RAM disk is obviously. ;)

A RAM disk is memory that is set up to emulate a hard drive. The system will recognize it as a drive, separate from your other memory, and you access it the same way as a drive.

It holds files, has sectors, etc.

A RAM disk has a few distinct advantages:

1) If your info is VERY sensitive, the instant the machine shuts down, the data is gone, and can't be recovered - quite a bit more secure than any normal hard drive.

2) Access times to the RAM disk is VERY fast - it is memory, after all, and has no mechanical parts that have to be moved. (read/write head, spinning platters)

In a recent project of mine, the program generated millions of files, every day. Each 1,000 file group of files, had to be quickly checked, and then could be over-written. So I used a RAM disk, just to speed things up, (the project took months to complete), and to save the wear and tear on my physical hard drive.

They are a thing of beauty, but you don't want to use them if you have a wonky power grid in your area!

Finally someone had enough smarts to know what a RAM disk is. I suspect only us older people have ever heard of it because its only supported on 16-bit MS-DOS operating system, which used randrive.sys file at boot time. AFAIK they can not be created in 32 or 64-bit os. You might want to read some of these google links for more information.

[edit]Looks like there is a way to do it, but you will have to experiment with it yourself. As for writing the code yourself, good luck because it may involve a large amount of assembly language and kernel level programming.

I ran them on Windows 7 and Windows XP OS's, but you do have to hunt around for them, and not all of them worked.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.