If a is greater than b then if a is greater than 300 multiply a by 7. Otherwise— in case a is not greater
than b—multiply a by 10.
Use only two if and one else. Make sure your else is paired with the correct if. You may have to
use { }

#include <iostream> 
using namespace std; 
int main ()
int a, int b
{
if (a > b)
if (a > 300)
a*7
else
b > a
b*10

Does that look right else if statements confuse me.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

you need to go back to your notes. this is all wrong.

commented: That just about says it +8

Check my answer to question!

That comes across as very rude.

Use braces to tell you which ifs and elses match up (when the if statement only has one line of code following it, you technically don't need them, but it should help you see where your errors are)

if(something)
{ 
   if(something)
   {

}
}
else
{

}

etc.

The statements a*7 and b*10 don't do anything by themselves. You may want to reread your text to see some examples where something is assigned to another variable.

If you want a to equal a times 7 then write a = a*7. not just a*7

Ok I don't have my notes but I looked it up a little and this is what I got how am I doing?

{
if(a > 300)
return (a)*7;
}

if (a > b)
return (a) * 7
else
(a < b)
return (b)*100;
}

never mind the code i don't get the question. what if b=150 and a=299?
this is starting to look like a car crash.

how am I doing?

You're attempting to return the results now, but to what? To the operating system? That's where the return value from main() goes.

This is one of those times where you're going to have to sit down and do it with pencil and paper and turn it into code afterwards. Read exactly what the instructions are telling you, and write it out.

Sorry I should of clarified this is a test question and I only need to write out the function the rest is supposed to be a given.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.