Some details of my machine and installed packages before proceeding further:

Mac OSX version: 10.6.6
Python version: Activestate Python 2.7.1
wxpython version: wxpython 2.8 (uses Carbon API hence limited to 32-bit mode arch only)

I installed wxPython2.8-osx-unicode-py2.7 from wxpython website using their .dmg installer file. This package uses the Carbon API and hence is limited to 32-bit mode only. I have to write my applications using "arch -i386" in order to import wx, and due to this limitation I am unable to import certain other packages likes "MySQLdb" which are not available in 32-bit mode. So, my best option is to uninstall wxpython 2.8 and install wxpython 2.9 because version 2.9 uses Cocoa API which has both 32-bit and 64-bit support.

I don't know how to uninstall wxpython2.8 on my Mac OSX. Can anyone please help me?

Contributors
Replies
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by imperialguy

I don't use Mac OSX, nor Activestate python but, you should be able to see where is your wx package by running

>>> import wx
>>> wx.__file__
'/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py'

This should give you the path to the 'site-packages' directory (for me in linux, it is /usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages). Now, if you list the files and directories which start with 'wx' in this directory and remove some of them, or all of them, it should uninstall your wxpython.

Thank you for the reply. I found out how to uninstall it. There is an uninstall script in the dmg installer that I mounted. I ran that script and it uninstalled the package. It is very unfortunate and annoying that Macs don't ship with uninstallers by default. Also, while the uninstall script was running I saw that wxpython was actually installed in /usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.12.0.

Edited by imperialguy: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.