Hi, help please!

I have a struct containing an array of pointers
to structs containing Binary Search Trees
with nodes containing structs.

... <*sigh*> I hate C soo much... put work wants it to be in C.

I can set the struct of BST's just fine, and keep it around, and I can set the innermost struct values. My problem is keeping those innermost values once I'm outside the function that puts them there.

void function(Struct struct, int i, int k)
{
    Array array;
    array = InitArray();
    array->key = k;
    struct->array[i] = &array;
}
void otherFunction(Struct struct, int i, int key, DStruct data)
{
    Tree tree;
    tree = InitTree(key, data);

(*struct->array[i])->bst = tree;  //works, but only keeps value inside current function

//(*struct->array[i])->bst = &tree; //incompatible pointer type... and Seg fault as soon as output is run

PrintInorderTreeWalk((*struct->array[i])->bst);  //works, but it's only one node long
}

void anotherFunction(Struct struct, int i)
{
    if(struct->array[i]) != NULL)    //works
    {
        if((*struct->array[i])->bst != NULL)   //Segmentation Fault for 'working' assignment above.
            PrintInorderTreeWalk((*struct->array[i])->bst);    //seg fault if the if stmt is commented out. 
    }
}

I want that commented out command to actually, but I'm not good enough with the pointers to get it to.
And I realize I'm not giving a whole lot of code here, but I think it gets the important parts across. I'm not really allowed to put much of it out anyway, but I could change everything to struct A, B, C, etc if needed. It's just huge.

Thanks for the help!

Contributors
Views
5 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ancient Dragon

You should pass the structures by reference, not by value. That means passing a pointer to the structure. I don't know what InitArray() does or returns, but I assume it returns a pointer. Here is how you need to write the first function you posted. Do something similar with the other functions.

Do not use reserved words as variable names. struct is a reserved word.

void function(Struct* str, int i, int k)
{
    str->array[i] = InitArray();
    str->array[i]->key = k;
}

Edited by Ancient Dragon: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.