Hey guys, I'm working on a game, and I was trying to mirror the gif images inside the program so I wouldn't have to do it manually (And also so it wouldn't use twice as much space to store the mirrored gifs). Anyway, I Google'd it and found this answer, it works well in the code, when you set the imageIcon as the JLabel Icon, but when I try to modify it a little and paint the image to a component, it just disappears... Here's the code:

public class HelperClass {

public static void main(String[] args) {
        JFrame f = new JFrame("Test");
        final ImageIcon io = new MirrorImageIcon("test.gif");
        final ImageIcon oi = new ImageIcon("test.gif");
        final Component c = new Component() {

@Override
            public void paint(Graphics g) {
                super.paint(g);
                io.paintIcon(this, g, 50, 50);
                oi.paintIcon(this, g, 100, 50);
            }
};
        f.add(c);
        f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
        f.setSize(300,300);
        f.setVisible(true);
    }

}

class MirrorImageIcon extends ImageIcon {

public MirrorImageIcon(String filename) {
        super(filename);
    }

@Override
    public synchronized void paintIcon(Component c, Graphics g, int x, int y) {
        Graphics2D g2 = (Graphics2D)g.create();
        g2.translate(getIconWidth(), 0);
        g2.scale(-1, 1);
        super.paintIcon(c, g2, x, y);
    }

}

The original Image shows up, but the mirrored one doesn't! What am I doing wrong?

Recommended Answers

Why do you think your translate and scale calls will create a mirror image?
If you comment those two method calls out, the image is displayed.

Jump to Post

The code works just fine here. Check the size and positions you're painting the icons, because I think you're just overlapping them.

Jump to Post

To get it to actually render in the correct location, I also had to negate the x position in the super.paintIcon() call to account for the inverted scaling:

super.paintIcon(c, g2, -x, y);

@yancuoto: I would also recommend extending JComponent instead of Component and overriding paintComponent() unless you …

Jump to Post

All 9 Replies

Wait a minute... Does "mirror image" means what I think it does? Does it mean "image flipped horizontally"?
Because those method calls do flip it horizontally! When you call the scale method, the image is flipped, but it stays a width of the image left, so the translate method fixes it!

The code works just fine here. Check the size and positions you're painting the icons, because I think you're just overlapping them.

I tried the code and got a single image displayed.
When I commented out these lines:

g2.translate(getIconWidth(), 0);
        g2.scale(-1, 1);

It get two identical images displayed.

Does your execution show two images with one a mirror of the other?

Yes, but one is partially occluded by the other because I did not alter any of the positioning code to account for differences in image width.

Thanks. I changed the following line several times and am now able to see the mirrored image

io.paintIcon(this, g, 01, 50); // 01 vs 50

To get it to actually render in the correct location, I also had to negate the x position in the super.paintIcon() call to account for the inverted scaling:

@yancuoto: I would also recommend extending JComponent instead of Component and overriding paintComponent() unless you have to mix this with other heavyweight AWT components.

commented: Thank you man, you really helped me! +2

@yancouto: I would also recommend extending JComponent instead of Component and overriding paintComponent() unless you have to mix this with other heavyweight AWT components.

Thanks man, this fixed the problem!
I checked the API and what happens is that the paint() method calls the paintComponent() and some other methods, am I right?
I think I get why you have to put -x, because the Graphics2D scaled the "x" with -1 so it would be inverted, right?

Anyway, thanks again!

> I think I get why you have to put -x, because the Graphics2D scaled the "x" with -1 so it would be inverted, right?
Yes, with the entire transform inverted like that, the x value you pass to the method actually ends up being an offset to the left instead of to the right.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.