I am trying to download some applets for my physics class (my students like applets a lot) and cannot download them because I don't know how to interpret the tag CODEBASE="."
The web page source code looks like this:
--------------------------------------
<applet code="Lab.class" name="Lab"
archive="Lab.jar" codebase="." width=640 height=440>
<param name="simulation" value="single spring">
</applet>
--------------------------------------
You see from it that CODEBASE points to ".", but I can't seem to figure that out. I have done research in several java books and didn't find any reference for that "." address.
Could you please give me a hand with this?

the codebase tag serves a similar purpose to the classpath environment setting in that it helps determine where the JVM should get classes for the applet.

Thanks for your support.
I understand the functionality of CODEBASE, what I need to know is where that "." points to.
I mean, let's say I'm looking at a web page whose HTML code says
-------------------
codebase="myclasses/example1/"
-------------------
and its address is: www.mywebpage.com/applets/a1.html

I know the JVM will look for the classes for the applets at www.mywebpage.com/applets/myclasses/example1/
Am I correct?
Then, where would the JVM get the classes if instead of codebase="myclasses/example1/" I have codebase="." in the HTML code?

It is a pleasure to tell you I solved the issue. I found out the "." is just a relative URL for the current directory. Downloaded the *.jar file and deleted the codebase tag from the web page saved in my compurer and, go!
Thanks for your support.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.