Please tell me a good IDE to develop C programs.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Did you search the forum? This is a common question.

Please tell me a good IDE to develop C programs.

The drawback of getting an IDE to learn how to program is that you will have to learn first how the IDE works, and how to use it.

Use the command line and an editor while you're learning C.

I would recommend using Code::Blocks because I find it easier to use than Visual Studio and those are the two that people should use for windows.

You can download it here (this comes with the MinGW compiler pre-installed).

To make a new C project start up Code::Blocks and then click Create New Project >> Console application >> then fill in the project title.

As for what Aia said before me, I disagree.

There is learning how to use the IDE 100% and then just enough to start doing a bit of programming. When using an IDE you have the advantage of auto completion, error checking and much more (compared to my experience with the gcc compiler that ships with linux).

Use the command line and an editor while you're learning C.

Because then you don't have to learn how the editor works, or how to invoke the compiler to do what you want. Oh wait, yes you do. There's a learning curve either way, so saying not to use an IDE because you'll have to learn how to use it is silly.

Everyone should use command line tools for a little while to have a better idea of what the IDE is doing for them, and so that they're not dependent on an IDE. However, once that little insight is learned, an IDE is generally the way to go.

Because then you don't have to learn how the editor works, or how to invoke the compiler to do what you want. Oh wait, yes you do. There's a learning curve either way, so saying not to use an IDE because you'll have to learn how to use it is silly.

Seriously? Now that is in deed a silly couple lines.
How about learning how to turn the computer on?. What's that arrow thingy? It looks like it moves when I push around this other thingamajig on the table.

If you don't know how to use a text editor, your expectations to learn programming are unrealistic.
How the compiler is invoked is a concept which you can not avoid if you want to learn C, so what's so silly about learning it from the beginning without the overhead of a IDE?

Everyone should use command line tools for a little while to have a better idea of what the IDE is doing for them, and so that they're not dependent on an IDE. However, once that little insight is learned, an IDE is generally the way to go.

That was the spirit of my previous comment, with the added emphasis about "while you're learning C"

commented: #include <std_wisdom> +17

Visual Express, Code::Blocks, and my current favorite (for Windows only), Pelles C.

There is a definite learning curve when you move to any new IDE, but overall, they increase your productivity quite a bit for C, in my experience.

I'm shocked that anyone would suggest using a command line (terminal) interface alone, instead of an IDE. OK scratch that, I'm **VERY** shocked that anyone would suggest using a command line interface for programming.

Aia, do you really believe that a CLI is more productive than using an IDE? I generally like your answers, but this one is off the mark.

Aia, do you really believe that a CLI is more productive than using an IDE? I generally like your answers, but this one is off the mark.

Without any intention of rudeness, perhaps, this one, you are off the mark in reading comprehension.

Thanks All
Thank you all very much

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.