Hello everybody.. I've been wondering whether the C language can copy files from the internet into the user's device, and whether it can process web pages and databases or not..
I think that ASP can do this. However, what should I do if my server's operating system is Linux?? Is there any alternative to using ASP??
Thanks beforehand.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I've been wondering whether the C language can copy files from the internet into the user's device, and whether it can process web pages and databases or not..

Yes to all of that. Check Beej's guide for socket programming to get an idea of how one would access internet data. Past that it's a somewhat simple matter of matching the expected request and response formats for getting a hold of the data you want.

Databases are different, obviously. While it's not completely unreasonable to write ad hoc code for internet access, it's drastically easier to use one of the many existing libraries out there when it comes to databases.

Though I'm curious why you want to use C for this.

However, what should I do if my server's operating system is Linux??

Totally irrelevant. In fact, targeting Linux might even make the coding easier. ;)

Thank you..

Totally irrelevant.

In fact, and as far as I know, it's much easier to use ASP.net with the internet than to use C.. I don't work on either anyway, and I don't want to use ASP because my web server operates using Linux, but I want to know which language is the best to start with in order to work with and connect to databases (especially MySQL) even if it is not C or ASP.. Thank you very much.

In fact, and as far as I know, it's much easier to use ASP.net with the internet than to use C.

Duh. ASP.NET hides away most of the hard stuff that you would have to do manually in C. But ASP.NET isn't the only option. If you're doing server side coding, PHP would be a good choice.

If you're doing server side coding, PHP would be a good choice.

Thank you but I'm trying to build a messenger program using PHP and a visual language which I haven't decided which one it will be up until now.

And please tell me if you know any appropriate programming language to create such a program so that I may be able to start learning it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.