Can someone demostrate with a tutorial thru which the Operating System could be developed in C#, i have no idea in System programming in C#. Also tell if the same could be done in other langauges such as Java or J#...If someone already have a coded tutorial for OS in C or C++...could you please post it over...

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

An OS cannot be coded in C#. It needs to be a language that requires no framework...like C. Yes there are OS's in C, google for them :).

I thing Microsoft Vista is designed in C#, isn't it?

Maybe, honestly i do not no. ;)

LOL

Thats a no isnt it, lol. I didnt think so.

the operating system is made in c. but a lot of the apps are made in c# or vb.net, like the whole ms office suite is written in vb

then can someone guide me to do the start up. I know some Assembly programming and C, but have no idea of how to make it work with system programs....

you should probably start with learning linux. The start out by working with a small open source linux

thanx friend...i think that would be good enough as it is equally as famous as Windows OS in my country..

Windows vista IS coded in c#, but the core is still in c++ that xp also use (all xp is coded in c++).
All of windows vista is the new .NET 3.0 platform, so it automaticly can run the c# code.

Do some research before you come with stupid answers.

Windows vista IS coded in c#, but the core is still in c++ that xp also use (all xp is coded in c++).
All of windows vista is the new .NET 3.0 platform, so it automaticly can run the c# code.

Do some research before you come with stupid answers.

Do some research before you post stupid quips.

See? Not nice, is it? Calm it down, please. :) Answer all the questions you like, but let's keep it polite.

Sorry ^^
Was in bad mood that day... I'm sorry...

Hi,

First can an OS be coded in C# ? The answer is yes http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/ although it is pretty a proof of concept type of OS. Still it is one of the most fascinating projects I have seen. On the other hand all Windows OSes are have to parts kernel and user mode services. All OS kernels are written in C and ASM (not even C++) and no managed code can run on kernel. For user mode OS services from 95 to XP they were based almost totally on COM; but as far as I know Vista has almost as much as c# code on user mode services like COM code.

Loren Soth

Hi,
My Suggestion, Start your coding form Boot Loader. Have a knowledge on Booting process.

I dont know how to do it, but there is an os that is written in C#. Right now it is just a kernel that is based off of C#. The projects is called singularity.

There is a C# OS system. Its called cosmos, google it. It is coded in C#. but it actually turns it into a native executable that is bootable. its in the infant stage of development. but it does work. and you can download it for free. just to test it out I created a mini OS. that simple out puts all the file names on the drive it was booted from to a console type screen. then just writes some silly lines and some of those text character pictures too. Its a Neat toy. they are looking for people to help develop it further.

The problem with cosmos is very few people are actually working on the project. and its not truly C#. it just coded in C# and the user kit translates it to a native language. all that said. fine and good. the REAL current drawback, is you are just about limited to console applications. So if you want to turn you desktop in to a $900 calculator that gives "smart a$$" answers then you are game on. but for piratical purposes. its out. not optical support, limited network. its like your own personal dos... kinda.

There is no OS developed in C#. However, Vista may have started using the framework for other utilities. All major OSes including windws and linux are developed in C. To confirm, try to download and open the kernel of any linux flavour.

We need to be very much proficient in C and other OS fundamental(such as processor scheduling, memory management, resource allocation, etc.) to think of developing an operating system.

wt abt unix ,solaris

commented: Don't bump old threads -1

are the creation of threads been done in c/c++.or we have to develop its own directory package

Welcome @neel99.

Please do not resurrect threads that are years old. By doing so you run the risk of confusing current posters. If you have any questions please ask. You are welcome to start your own threads.

Thread Closed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.