Hello. First of all i know that this was asked like a million times, but i just cant get the right answer anywhere, yes, even on google. So the thing is that i learned the C++ basics and my learning process was only in a Console Application. And now for a while im just bouncing from one thing to another and it seems that im doing something wrong. The question is, what to do now? I tried using libs but some of them seemed to do all the work for me, the others seemed to be too complicated. Well, i know that im not being very specific but it just seems that i need to get myselft together, because when i was learning the basics in a Console Application everything seemed to be going smooth, after that its the opposite.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I tried using libs but some of them seemed to do all the work for me, the others seemed to be too complicated.

How about writing your own version of those libraries? You might realize why doing all of the work for the programmer is a good thing, and/or why so much complication. :)

How about writing your own version of those libraries? You might realize why doing all of the work for the programmer is a good thing, and/or why so much complication. :)

Thanks for the answer. Well, the thing is, lets say i open the Win32 app Template in Visual C++ and if i'm going to use a Template or a Lib i would like to understand it first, but i just cant seem to understand how it work, it looks like a bunch of new things i havent learned. Dont know, maybe Win32 app is just too advanced for me, something similar happens with the Windows Form app Template, its seems not hard to add a Code to a new Event but i cant understand how was the other Code-work done. This and some more things that ive tried just seems to be on another level. I have tried to Code my own library of some sorts, so at my level i was only able to make a OUTPUT, INPUT with the <fstream> ^^, but thats it, cant think of anything else to Code something bigger with the current knowledge, and i think i pretty much know the basics. Well anyways, i know im being noobish but hey, i totally am :D

P.S i think i understand why libs are used, but i would like to be able to understand them before using

Why don't you move away from console application, and move into more graphics? Use libraries like SDL to make a simple 2D game. That way you will enjoy what your doing and you will be learning.

Why don't you move away from console application, and move into more graphics? Use libraries like SDL to make a simple 2D game. That way you will enjoy what your doing and you will be learning.

I was thinking to start using SDL, but thought that i would end up like with some other things ive tried. Thanks :icon_wink: . By the way, i have this feeling that if lets say i get the hang with one Lib and then move to another that the previous Lib ive learned would go to waste, is it something i should worry about? Maybe thats another dumb question, but i like everything crystal clear ^^

P.S i was using Dark GDK lib but i did not like it as much because it did all the job for me while i didnt understood how the libs code-work is done, isnt SDL something similar?

>>By the way, i have this feeling that if lets say i get the hang with one Lib and then move to another that the previous Lib ive learned would go to waste, is it something i should worry about?

That's kind of an awkward question. I mean, throughout the years you will learn how to use different libraries for different things. Everything is a tool and tools will and can be replaced.

>>P.S i was using Dark GDK lib but i did not like it as much because it did all the job for me while i didnt understood how the libs code-work is done, isnt SDL something similar?

Listen, I was like you at one point. For example not wanting to use an image loading library because I didn't want to use someone else's code. But when you get more mature, you come to realize that its not always about knowledge, its about productivity. In your free time its ok to learn new skills. But in real world you will be using some tool that you didn't write. So get over it ;).

And as for SDL, I would strongly suggest you to go for it, else you can learn OpenGL. What you should concentrate at this stage is not how to load a image or do a certain task, but you should concentrate on learning to program effectively. This can only be done by practicing to program. So grab something like SDL, and start designing something you like. This way, you not only learn how to use SDL( which is a good thing), but you get some practice. And it is from practice that you learn what design is good and what is bad and so on. I strongly believe in the practice of programming, that experience is more valuable than theory.

So to sum up, don't stress it. Concentrate on making good code and design. Don't worry about libraries. In fact don't worry at all. Enjoy it!

>>By the way, i have this feeling that if lets say i get the hang with one Lib and then move to another that the previous Lib ive learned would go to waste, is it something i should worry about?

That's kind of an awkward question. I mean, throughout the years you will learn how to use different libraries for different things. Everything is a tool and tools will and can be replaced.

>>P.S i was using Dark GDK lib but i did not like it as much because it did all the job for me while i didnt understood how the libs code-work is done, isnt SDL something similar?

Listen, I was like you at one point. For example not wanting to use an image loading library because I didn't want to use someone else's code. But when you get more mature, you come to realize that its not always about knowledge, its about productivity. In your free time its ok to learn new skills. But in real world you will be using some tool that you didn't write. So get over it ;).

And as for SDL, I would strongly suggest you to go for it, else you can learn OpenGL. What you should concentrate at this stage is not how to load a image or do a certain task, but you should concentrate on learning to program effectively. This can only be done by practicing to program. So grab something like SDL, and start designing something you like. This way, you not only learn how to use SDL( which is a good thing), but you get some practice. And it is from practice that you learn what design is good and what is bad and so on. I strongly believe in the practice of programming, that experience is more valuable than theory.

So to sum up, don't stress it. Concentrate on making good code and design. Don't worry about libraries. In fact don't worry at all. Enjoy it!

WOW! Not whats an answer i've been looking for. A big THANKS! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.