hey guys, im a new guy here in the forum and im also an IT student who gets into C++ troubles most of the time, but enough about that... i just wanna ask if anyone can help me in my linked list problem, i think its about pointers and address. like a->link, well thats what it looked like. Problem is i dont understand a thing and my prof wont even give me an example, i dont even get the slightest idea of what's it all about and i dont know where to start, SO CAN ANYONE PLS SHOW ME AN EXAMPLE,even just the basic ones THANKS!!!
^_^

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

try google + "linked lists"

Linked list are typically used to work with data structures.
Access to items in the list is controlled by pointers.

This is a very simple example to construct a linked list. You will need to do a lot more reading to use them correctly.

One thing to remember:
You must delete all the list items when exiting the program otherwise you will create a memory leak.

struct dataRec {
  type     data;
  dataRec  *next;
}

dataRec *prList = NULL;  // the list anchor

function addRecord(dataRec *prList) {
  dataRec *temp = new dataRec;  // create a new record to add to list
  temp->data = whatever;
  temp->next = NULL;

// Now add this record to the end of the list
  dataRec *curr = prList;	
  if (curr == NULL) {  // the list is empty
    prList = temp;  // prList, the anchor, now points to the first record
  }
  else {
    if (curr->next == NULL) { // last record in list
      curr->next = temp;  // add temp to end of list
    }
    else {  // move up the list until the last entry
      curr = curr->next;
    }
  }
}

thanks, i really appreciate it! i think i'll do some head crackinh for awhile to master this ^^

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.