I am given a assignment in college to make a project in java. i want to make program in java but my teachers advice to make a system program not application program.

But i don't know anything about system programming in java so please guys suggest me topics and also give the guidelines to learn system programming.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

That seems like strange advice. Java was designed to be multi-platform, which is great, but the downside is that it doesn't tie strongly into the system of any one environment. You'll find that all kinds of system calls that you would use in C* are not available in Java unless they are portable across Windows, Mac and Linux.
ps: I notice you have posted a few questions recently - nothing wrong with that, but when you have got your answers please mark them "solved" to save wasted effort from helpful DaniWeb members.

ps: Just to clarify - Java has features like JNI to allow you call DLLs etc with C-style interfaces,, so anything is possible, but this takes you outside normal Java programming and gets really tacky as you start to mix Java concepts with C concepts.

You could do stuff based on the file system - eg a utility to calculate the total sizes of all the directories in a tree and sort them by size or somesuch. Java 7 has a new IO package called NIO that gives you all you need in a cross-platform implementation.

You could do stuff based on the file system - eg a utility to calculate the total sizes of all the directories in a tree and sort them by size or somesuch. Java 7 has a new IO package called NIO that gives you all you need in a cross-platform implementation.

ok. i will do it.
thanx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.