Start New Discussion within our Software Development Community

Hello all,
This is my first post here.Woohoo! Seems like an awesome place to collaborate. So heres my issue, thread title explains pretty well though. I have a C# app that I am working on, and I have a datagrid and one button in the UI. Heres me ISSUE: I have been trying to assign a C# string variable to a datetime value in my datagrid. Btw, in my datagrid, I have 4 columns, firstName, LastName, Membership, Date.

EXAMPLE: Member scans card. App pulls members info from the SQL database, populates datagrid, then compares current date with the last time his/her card was scanned(if applicable).(DONT NEED HELP ON COMPARING THE DATES, I KNOW HOW TO DO THAT)

Can someone please explain CLEARLY how to assign the Date columns value from my datagrid to a C# string variable?

And if you cant explain that, dull it down a little bit and explain how to simply assign a datagrid string value to a C# string variable. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Here's how you get your row to variables:

string firstName;
string lastName;
bool membership;
DateTime cardDate;

// Add first row
dataGridView1.Rows.Add();

// Add some test data to 1st row
dataGridView1.Rows[0].Cells[0].Value = "John";
dataGridView1.Rows[0].Cells[1].Value = "Doe";
dataGridView1.Rows[0].Cells[2].Value = true;
dataGridView1.Rows[0].Cells[3].Value = DateTime.Now;

// Get data from 1st row
firstName = dataGridView1.Rows[0].Cells[0].Value.ToString();
lastName = dataGridView1.Rows[0].Cells[1].Value.ToString();
membership = (bool)dataGridView1.Rows[0].Cells[2].Value;
cardDate = (DateTime)dataGridView1.Rows[0].Cells[3].Value;

// Dump variables to check their values

Cell values are objects so you just have to cast them to proper type.

HTH

Comments
Teme64 is awesome. By far the best and most easy to understand explanation. If I could I would up your rep by 50! You just made my morning my friend. Keep rockin on mate!
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.