Hey everyone,

I've been using python quite a bit to develop scientific applications. As of late, the Enthought Tool Suite is proving to be one of the handiest set of development tools out there.

One question I have is, with commercial software, I often see the ability to plugin output for a device. For example, my OceanOptics spectrometer comes bundled with software which allows real-time interaction with the experimental data.

I would like to write program that have such functionality in python. I don't really understand; however, at what level one tends to begin including such additions (low-level vs. high-level). Does anyone know where I could find a general tutorial for such matters?

Recommended Answers

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that something like that would differ for each device, and of course there's the possibility that it may have a domain-specific like language connected to it. I'm intrigued by the idea though. Not to digress but on a semi-related topic I recently came across …

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that something like that would differ for each device, and of course there's the possibility that it may have a domain-specific like language connected to it. I'm intrigued by the idea though. Not to digress but on a semi-related topic I recently came across this http://pyrorobotics.org/

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that something like that would differ for each device, and of course there's the possibility that it may have a domain-specific like language connected to it. I'm intrigued by the idea though. Not to digress but on a semi-related topic I recently came across this http://pyrorobotics.org/

That is interesting. I guess I'm somewhat disheartened to find that out, but it does make sense that a developer would only write system-specific code for a device. One way I can probably do it is that spectrometers can output files in real time. I'm sure I can write a program in python to monitor the output directory, grab the new data files, append them to a large matrix, replot etc...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.