hello people.
how are you all doing?
my problem is i have been programming in c++ for almost a year now but i have always used windows with microsoft visual studio and dev c++ but now i discovered that programming in ubuntu is much more fun couz it is way faster than windows.... now the problem is i dont know which compiler i should use... i have never programmed anything in ubuntu apart from a php website that i built 2 month ago...
please help me to solve this problem..
all i need is the compilers i need and where i can get them from..
thats all!
any help will be greatly apreciated!!

Recommended Answers

The compiler is GCC (for all Linux distros).

With Ubuntu, you can simply run this in the terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential

(the dollar sign is just to represent the start of the command prompt in the terminal, you shouldn't type it)

The "build-essential" …

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

The compiler is GCC (for all Linux distros).

With Ubuntu, you can simply run this in the terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential

(the dollar sign is just to represent the start of the command prompt in the terminal, you shouldn't type it)

The "build-essential" package will install GCC (for C, C++ at least) and all relevant tools (like "make").

GCC is obviously just a command-line compiler. It is not an IDE like Visual Studio, or Dev C++, that's a separate thing, i.e., Visual Studio is an IDE that uses the Microsoft compiler (or MSVC for short), and Dev C++ is an IDE that uses the GCC port for Windows (with MinGW).

With GCC installed, you can compile a simple C++ program by going to its directory (via the terminal) and typing this (for "foo.cpp" for example):

$ g++ -Wall foo.cpp -o foo

And that's it.

Now, if you want an IDE to work with, then you have quite a few to choose from. Some Linux purists would say that "emacs" is the only thing you need (just an enhanced text-editor, with syntax highlighting and stuff). More reasonably, I could recommend three that seem prevalent, Qt Creator (package: "qtcreator"), CodeBlocks (package: "codeblocks") or KDevelop (package: "kdevelop"). They can all be installed from apt-get or through your synaptic (or package manager).

Hey... Thanks a lot for the help... This helped a lot... Thanks again!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.