Sub retrievepic()

Dim conn As New SqlConnection("data source=.\sqlexpress; integrated security=true; attachdbfilename=|datadirectory|\WAIS.mdf; user instance=true;")
        Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("select ImageData from ImagesStore where ImageId=@ImageId", conn)

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@ImageId", 3)

Try
            conn.Open()
            PictureBox1.Image = Image.FromStream(New IO.MemoryStream(CType(cmd.ExecuteScalar, Byte())))
        Catch ex As Exception
            MsgBox(ex.Message)
        Finally
            conn.Close()
        End Try
    End Sub

This is my code for retrieving pictures, it was working before but then i accidentally deleted the table and i created it again with the same name and same fields. and now whenever i open the form with the picture, there was a message box error. it says

Buffer cannot be null. Parameter name: buffer

I don't know what i did wrong.

Recommended Answers

Are the field types consistent with the code?

Jump to Post

Are you still fighting this?

There are only two possible choices. You do not have an ImageId = 3 or the row with ImageId = 3 has a null value for column ImageData.

Fix it and move on with your life.

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Are the field types consistent with the code?

Yes.

Member Avatar

Are you still fighting this?

There are only two possible choices. You do not have an ImageId = 3 or the row with ImageId = 3 has a null value for column ImageData.

Fix it and move on with your life.

Yes I'm still 'fighting' it. because everytime i drop and recreate the table, i have to not call the retrievepic function first and then recall it for it to work.
i'm sure the pictures are storing, i check it everytime i insert a student.

i want to know why it's happening. when i'm pretty sure that the image is adding in the database

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.