Hey guys, I am new to Java and recently developed a small GUI-based project in Windows using Netbeans IDE. So I try build the project and retrieve the .jar file and it runs well on my Windows computer. Then I copy the .jar file to a Ubuntu Linux computer and runs it there, the problem is some of the buttons/interface is "hidden" or out of sight, even if I drag the window size for it to be bigger these interface stay.."truncated". Any ideas guys?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What layout manager did you use for your GUI?

sounds like he used a NullLayout or something very similar, with fixed size (in pixels) controls rather than letting the LayoutManager determine the pixel size based on content size.
There won't be a "port" for that, rather it will have to be recreated from scratch.

sounds like he used a NullLayout or something very similar, with fixed size (in pixels) controls rather than letting the LayoutManager determine the pixel size based on content size.

Yes, that was my immediate suspicion too, hence my question.

Are you there Steven7?

Actually I used Free Design. So theres no way to "port" that huh?

Well, that should be OK. According to the doc NetBeans "free design" uses GroupLayout which should re-size as needed across platforms. I've never used it myself, so I'm not going to be able to help you on this one. Sorry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.