gud day... i just wanna ask if someone could give me a sample code of a user's activity log
..where it records the time of login and logout of the user
.. and also records the users deleted, created and updated data...
.tnx :D

and should i also create a table in the database for activity log?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

See if this helps to get you started.
1.Button

Imports System.IO
Public Class Form1

#Region "-----===-----===-----===-----===-----=== Log chopping crap xD ===-----===-----===-----===-----===-----"
    Public myFolder As String = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.Desktop) & "\user.log activity\" '// Folder for File(s).
    Private myLogFile As String = myFolder & "myCoolLogFile.txt" '// your.File.
    '// easier to write and understand File.
    Private sLogIn As String = "Logged in: ", sLogOut As String = "Logged out: ", sUpdateData As String = "Updated Data: "

Public Sub xSaveCoolLogFile(ByVal selCoolFile As String, ByVal selCoolContent As String)
        If File.Exists(selCoolFile) Then
            File.WriteAllText(selCoolFile, selCoolContent & vbNewLine & File.ReadAllText(selCoolFile))
        Else
            File.WriteAllText(selCoolFile, selCoolContent)
        End If
    End Sub
#End Region

Private Sub Form1_FormClosing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.FormClosingEventArgs) Handles Me.FormClosing
        xSaveCoolLogFile(myLogFile, sLogOut & DateTime.Now)
    End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        If Not Directory.Exists(myFolder) Then Directory.CreateDirectory(myFolder) '// create Folder if Not .Exists.
        xSaveCoolLogFile(myLogFile, sLogIn & DateTime.Now)
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        Dim sTemp As String = "some data to update to ""whatever/wherever"""
        MsgBox(sTemp) '// code here to update/edit/etc. data.
        xSaveCoolLogFile(myLogFile, sUpdateData & DateTime.Now & " - " & sTemp)
    End Sub
End Class

It uses a File, Not a db(database) and it's quite simple to get you on the road to success.:D

If you do end up using a File to save the user's activity, I would create a new file every week/month, depending on how often a user might use your app..

My advice is make a 2 tables, LogTables and UserActions, where logTables will record the log information (LogID, UserID, LogIn,LogOut) and in UserActions table record the users activity (ActivityId,logID,userAction,time). In the save, update or delete button you should have insert statement in userActions table. Just create an method and call it.

better have the logs in database table.

actually i have lots of forms, i want to record users activity
for example. user deleted a file from formA so, it should be in the activity like
user1 deleted citizenid 1000002 at 12/1/2012
what should i do to record all activity? should i put a eventlog?

My advice is make a 2 tables, LogTables and UserActions, where logTables will record the log information (LogID, UserID, LogIn,LogOut) and in UserActions table record the users activity (ActivityId,logID,userAction,time). In the save, update or delete button you should have insert statement in userActions table. Just create an method and call it.

sir could you please give me an example? im really new in vb.net

user will delete the files from system using ur Application? or if u just want to record the application events then write a class file with public function and use that function to log in all the events

user will delete the files from system using ur Application? or if u just want to record the application events then write a class file with public function and use that function to log in all the events

sir could you please give me a sample code? i really don't know how to start tnx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.