Hello everybody,
I am still learning c++,I already know about objects, classes, pointers and i can use them.
I wanna move to game development, but should I go further in console apps before moving to game dev ? Please help me because i am 14 years old and i would like to have a career in software engineering/game development.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Scripting engines and graphics loading, saving & manipulations.
See if you can take a script, some single frame sprites, background tiles, and generate a single scene. Export it to JPEG or PNG.
Heh, I need to try that.

Start small and move on.

For example, you can start by writing a text-based RPG. Then, learn to use simple GUI systems like SDL to create 2D games, a good start could be a Nibbles game or Tetris. Finally, you can start to look at creating 3D games, I suggest you get acquainted with off-the-shelf libraries like Ogre3D which is going to do all the graphics rendering for you.

Once you have a few simple game running (to some extent) you can start to figure out what areas of game development you prefer to focus on (e.g. graphics rendering effects, software engineering, AI, animations, physics simulation, etc.).

And you're just about the right age and competence to start doing this. I know some people who started at your age with this passion and got hired right out of high-school in the computer game industry (I would have been one of them if I didn't choose to pursue engineering instead).

Thanks everybody

If you are fairly confident with C, try your hand at OpenGL.

Don't neglect maths. I am constantly interviewing coders who appear to have memorised all the syntax there is but can't explain to me how to manipulate vectors or normalise values (as just two examples).

Don't neglect maths. I am constantly interviewing coders who appear to have memorised all the syntax there is but can't explain to me how to manipulate vectors or normalise values (as just two examples).

Totally agree. Im not great at maths (well, im excellent at arithmetic, though I suck at at abstract stuff). Getting my head around vector arithmetic was the hardest part of OpenGL programming for me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.