Hi all,
I'm working on a simple Java project on student database. One of the methods I need to implement obviously involves searching for a student in the student registration using the student id input. Here is what I've been asked to do:
-searchStudentRegistration(String studentId): Using the studentId you will search
within the the studentRegistration array whether such a student exists or not. If it does
print all the student information by calling getStudentRegistrationInfo() or print
“Not Found”

and here is what I've done

private StudentRegistration[] stdreg;
public void searchStudentRegistration(String studentId){
        for(StudentRegistration s : stdreg){
            if(s.getStudent().getStudentId().equals(studentId)){
                System.out.println(s.getStudentRegistrationInfo());

}     
            else{
                System.out.println("not found");
            }
        }

The problem I'm having is: the message 'not found' is printing even when there is a match. For instance, say the size of stdreg array is 3 and my 3 student id inputs are 001, 002 & 003. If I search for the student id 003 (which is obviously a match)- I get the outputs:
`

not found
not found
<student reg info>

From what I understand, negative the messages are being printed for every index where there is no match. Question is- how can I make the ''not found'' message print only once when there is no match- not any other time?
``

how can I make the ''not found'' message print only once

If you onlly want one message printed after the search ends, use a boolean variable (init to false) to record if a match is found(set to true). After the end of the loop if the boolean has not been set to true, then print the message.

Edited 4 Years Ago by NormR1

If you onlly want one message printed after the search ends, use a boolean variable (init to false) to record if a match is found(set to true). After the end of the loop if the boolean has not been set to true, then print the message.

Ahh yes- Thanks!!! Can't believe I've spent ages for such a little twinkle! lol
Here's the corrected form of the code for those who may be facing the same problem in future:

public void searchStudentRegistration(String studentId){
        boolean found = false;
        for(StudentRegistration s : stdreg){
            if(s.getStudent().getStudentId().equals(studentId)){
                found  = true;
                System.out.println(s.getStudentRegistrationInfo());

}     

}
        if(found == false){
            System.out.println("not found");
        }

}
This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.