I am currently using Dev C++ to develop my programs as it is free and its easily gotten a hold of.

Now the thing is that the proggraming project that I have to do has to be implemented on the unix systems within university.

Is there going to be problems with portability?

Can anyone suggest a IDE that will not cause havoc with UNIX and basicly run?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Recommended Answers

Portability depends on the program you wrote. If you use any MS-Windows functions at all then you will have porting problems. If however you used ansi standard C and C++ then you will have few porting problems. And most *nix systems come with gnu gcc and g++ compilers installed, which …

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

Portability depends on the program you wrote. If you use any MS-Windows functions at all then you will have porting problems. If however you used ansi standard C and C++ then you will have few porting problems. And most *nix systems come with gnu gcc and g++ compilers installed, which I believe is the backend to Dev-C++.

The only *nix IDE I know of is canned vi. Its not really an IDE as we would know it, but a very good (and old) programmer's text editor. Learn to do command-line compiles with makefiles.

Ok thanks for that, also does anyone know about a Java based C IDE its just that I want to do proggraming in work but it only seems to run java applets !

Any ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.