I am learning about networking and programming. I am trying to be a simple IM application. What i am trying to achieve having a server application route messages between computers over the internet creating a simple instant messenger. However i can't find any sort of tutorial for that. I want to use the client-server model. The way i think it works is that let say to computers are connected to a server through some sort of login. The server can then pass messages between thoes two connected computers. Anyone know any resources for me to beable to achieve this? Thanks

you will need 2 learn the basics of python network programming. You can check out the documentation in the python website. I had created a simple client to server chat application. Check out the code below,

TCP Server Code:

# TCP Server Code

host="127.0.0.1"                # Set the server address to variable host
port=4446                   # Sets the variable port to 4444
from socket import *                # Imports socket module

s=socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM)

s.bind((host,port))                 # Binds the socket. Note that the input to 
                                            # the bind function is a tuple

s.listen(1)                         # Sets socket to listening state with a  queue
                                            # of 1 connection

print "Listening for connections.. "

q,addr=s.accept()               # Accepts incoming request from client and returns
                                            # socket and address to variables q and addr

data=raw_input("Enter data to be send:  ")  # Data to be send is stored in variable data from
                                            # user

q.send(data)                        # Sends data to client

s.close()

# End of code

TCP Client Code:

# TCP Client Code

host="127.0.0.1"            # Set the server address to variable host

port=4446               # Sets the variable port to 4444

from socket import *             # Imports socket module

s=socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM)      # Creates a socket

s.connect((host,port))          # Connect to server address

msg=s.recv(1024)            # Receives data upto 1024 bytes and stores in variables msg

print "Message from server : " + msg

s.close()                            # Closes the socket 
# End of code

Hope this helps and dont forget to vote up! :B

commented: Watch out for your line spacing, otherwise good effort. -3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.