Hey,
Im trying to extract numbers from a scanner, but im having problems extracting them all.
Primarily i need it to

• read a text file which contains some text and numbers.
  • go through the file and locate all numbers
  • differentiate between numbers contained in bracket (3), and those on their own 3.

String[] anArray = {
    "0", "1", "2",
    "3", "4", "5",
    "6", "7", "8", "9"
    };

while(scanfile.hasNext())
        {
            /* add counter up on digits 1-9 on each line
             * so numbers 1-9 are check on each line
             */
            for(int i =0;i<anArray.length;i++)
            {
                if(declarations.hasNext(anArray[i]){
                    System.out.println("number found");
                    scanfile.next();
                }
            }

scanfile.nextLine();
        }

This is what iv done so far, it finds only one number per line, which is a problem, and if a combination such as 77 or 88 appears it doesent recognise them. Any ideas on a more efficient way to achieve the stated task?

Recommended Answers

This bit of code isn't particulary useful in showing us how you are decoding the data. Provide more source code please.

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

This bit of code isn't particulary useful in showing us how you are decoding the data. Provide more source code please.

I actually got it working fairly easily using a delimeter but it still lacks the ability to split at a comma, any help correcting the delimeter to include comma's would be useful :)

file.useDelimiter("[^\\p{Alnum},\\.-]"); 

i tried the above, and it works perfectly except in cases when a comma is after a number, which it believes to not be an int I.e ,50 will be found using nextInt() but 50, will be read as a word for some reason.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.