i have 0 errors when compiler starts to work.it is stopped working

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by deceptikon
Featured Replies

I'm willing to bet that you didn't think the Enter key counts as a character in the stream. Your second scanf() reads the newline from pressing the Enter key, so you're replacing whatever is typed for `b` with `'\n'`. Unless you type multiple characters for `b`, of course. Read More

For future reference, both a newline and a space in the format string are unnecessary. Any single whitespace character will tell scanf() to read any and all subsequent whitespace from the stream, so technically you could do this: scanf(" %c", &b); And it'll catch any number of spaces, tabs, and … Read More

hey, b,c are only characters. You can't enter values in it as a string. compiler dont guess how value will be entered, but when you run it, it will crash due to segmantaion fault(I am not sure for this).

segmentation fault means when you are accessing a location which your program is currently not allocated.

hey nitin1 but there is no logical mistake here bcoz one advised me not to take gets().so i used scanf

read my first post. I have already answered.

ok nitin1 see now even i couldnot replace a string in the character

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include<string.h>
void main()
{
char a[200],n,c,b;
int i;
printf("enter the new string: ");
fgets(a,sizeof(a),stdin);
printf("enter the character to be replaced: ");
scanf("%c",&b);
printf("enter the new character: ");
scanf("%c",&c);
for(i=0;a[i]!='\0';i++)
{
    if(b==a[i])
    {
        a[i]=c;
    }
}
printf("%s",a);
}

i couldn't identify where the error is??? thanks for ur help

I'm willing to bet that you didn't think the Enter key counts as a character in the stream. Your second scanf() reads the newline from pressing the Enter key, so you're replacing whatever is typed for b with '\n'. Unless you type multiple characters for b, of course.

ok very much thanks to deceptikon and nitin1 thanks for ur contribution i got the output

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include<string.h>
void main()
{
char a[200],n,c,b;
int i;
printf("enter the new string: ");
fgets(a,sizeof(a),stdin);
printf("\n enter the character to be replaced: ");
scanf("\n %c",&b);
printf("\n enter the new character: ");
scanf("\n %c",&c);
for(i=0;a[i]!='\0';i++)
{
    if(b==a[i])
    {
        a[i]=c;
    }
}
printf("%s",a);
}

the final code thanks

For future reference, both a newline and a space in the format string are unnecessary. Any single whitespace character will tell scanf() to read any and all subsequent whitespace from the stream, so technically you could do this:

scanf(" %c", &b);

And it'll catch any number of spaces, tabs, and newlines. It'll also royally jack up your I/O logic if you're not expecting that behavior. ;)

Also note that the only specifiers that don't read leading whitespace by default are %c, %[, and %n. All of the other specifiers do the "right" thing.

Edited by deceptikon

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.