Hi All,

I am trying to run a second script from my first script and this works ok i can send it a variable and recieve back my answer however I am using Tkinter for my forms but when i start the main my program both scripts run although i only want to run the main script first then call the second when required. I am using eclipse IDE with python 2.7 and when i add another script to the project i am asked whether it should be "blank" or "main" etc.
What do i need to add into the second script to stop executing straight away.
If this has been answered before please point me to that message
Thanks ALL.

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by deepthought

All code must be inside functions, except any code you want only run when running directly, which you can put inside

if __name__ == '__main__':

if name == 'main':

Hi Thanks but its monday and i think i am feeling thick today please explain a little more my actual main file is call ]ec main.py my second file is called RxTx.py. so i need to place if name == 'main': into the top of RxTx.py or is there something more to it.

I appreciate your patience Thanks

No, before the lines you do not want to run when importing it to the other script as you mentioned.

I think I may have the structure of my program wrong?
in the main i have created functions about 6 of them ie

def mCommand_Enter():
        mycom = RxTx.comms(Enter_Command)
        return

in the second script i have created another function:-

import socket
import time

def comms(TxMessage):
    UDP_IP = "192.168.60.3"
    UDP_PORT = 9008
    MESSAGE=TxMessage
    print ("UDP target IP:",UDP_IP)
    print ("UDP target port:",UDP_PORT)
    print ("message:",MESSAGE)
    sock = socket.socket( socket.AF_INET,socket.SOCK_DGRAM ) # UDP
    #sock.connect((UDP_IP, UDP_PORT))
    #b = str(MESSAGE,'utf_8')
    sock.sendto(MESSAGE,(UDP_IP, UDP_PORT) )
    sock.close()

UDP_IP_SERV="192.168.60.10"
    UDP_PORT_SERV=5634
    sock = socket.socket( socket.AF_INET, # Internet
                      socket.SOCK_DGRAM ) # UDP
    sock.bind( (UDP_IP_SERV,UDP_PORT_SERV) )

#while True:
    time.sleep(1)
    data, addr = sock.recvfrom(782) # buffer size is 4096 bytes
    print "received message:- ", data,addr
    #mydata = data.encode("ascii")
    #print mydata
    #print(str(data,'utf_8',errors='strict'))
    sock.close()
    return

Back in the main program created a button

bStart = Button(mGui,text ='Connect',width = 8,bg ='green',command = mConnect()).place(x=550,y=500,)

When i run the program the button gets generated and runs the mConnect function which runs the code above (first snippet) if i hash # out the button code the main program runs without running the second script i dont understand why generating a button on the form should trip the code into running.

Thanks again

You are not defining command to run when Button is pushed but you have instead called the function, before pushing of the Button. It should not be with ()

Thanks PyTony well spotted it was a pure typo as earlier i was potential going to send a value across too but changed my mind and forgot to remove the ().
Great thanks

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.