//I want this to be outputed.
4A
4B

But when i use this

SELECT PUROK FROM TBLPUROK ORDER BY ldap(PUROK,10) ASC

4A
4B

Heres what it goes.

Hoping for answeres. I already search it and googled i havent got the answer yet. and some are not clearly stated. :(

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Please, can you clarify what is supposed to return the ldap(PUROK,10)?

maybe the sentence SELECT PUROK FROM TBLPUROK ORDER BY PUROK ASC does the trick.

Hope this helps

supposedly i have a ORACLE database and its Datatype is Varchar2
Sample DB

Purok
5A
6A

thats the original value. however i want to sort it, i know it would be in the SQL statement but i cant get it.

so its output would be.
5A
6A

thats the output i want to get .:(

Thnx for the reply but i already done that and it wont display the result that ive wanted.

I think you'll have to sort the data from within a VB data structure unless you write a SQL stored procedure to do the query. Any sorting of the records as strings (varchar) will put records (for example) starting with "23" after "2" and before "3" which is not what you want. You'd have to convert each field to numeric after stripping of the non-numeric trailing characters then do a sort on the resulting data.

yea. thats my idea. but however i cant find the right code for it.

Try this

Dim con As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim rec As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim srt As New SortedDictionary(Of Integer, String)

con.Open("Driver={SQL Server};Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Database=mydb;Trusted_Connection=yes;")
    rec.Open("SELECT myfield FROM mytable", con, CursorTypeEnum.adOpenStatic)

Do Until rec.EOF
        Dim str As String = rec(0).Value
        Dim num As String = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Match(str, "[0-9]*").Value
        srt.Add(CInt(num), str)
        rec.MoveNext()
    Loop

rec.Close()
    con.Close()

For Each num As Integer In srt.Keys
        TextBox1.AppendText(srt(num) & vbCrLf)
    Next

Inside the loop we first get the field value, then we pull out the first part of the string containing the number (note that because we are using a dictionary no duplicate numbers are allowed. Let me know if you need a version that handles duplicates). Then we convert the numeric string to a number and add the field value to the dictionary using the number as the key. Because we are using a sorted dictionary, when we step through the keys, the values will come out in sorted (according to the number) order.

The following will handle the case where the records contain entries like 16C, 16D as long as the integers are no larger than 10 digits

Dim con As New ADODB.Connection
        Dim rec As New ADODB.Recordset
        Dim srt As New SortedDictionary(Of String, String)

con.Open("Driver={SQL Server};Server=.\SQLEXPRESS;Database=mydb;Trusted_Connection=yes;")
        rec.Open("SELECT UserName FROM Users", con, CursorTypeEnum.adOpenStatic)

Do Until rec.EOF
            Dim str As String = rec(0).Value
            Dim num As String = Regex.Match(str, "[0-9]*").Value
            str = str.Substring(Len(num))
            num = CInt(num).ToString("0000000000")
            srt.Add(num & str, rec(0).Value)
            rec.MoveNext()
        Loop

rec.Close()
        con.Close()

For Each num As String In srt.Keys
            TextBox1.AppendText(srt(num) & vbCrLf)
        Next
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.