Hello,

Can someone help me please. Ive got a listview with the columns etc, when i save a form and it shows up in the listview with some items in the columns, how can i get a textbox to add a number each time a row is entered.

example: I save a form into the listveiew and it counts how many i have in the list.

Cheers

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I assume you have a line of code somewhere to add the new row to the ListView similar to

ListView1.Items.Add(item)

Why can't you add a line after that like

TextBox1.Text = "# of rows is " & ListView1.Items.Count.ToString()

unfortuantly that hasnt worked but thanks

Why not? It works for me. How are you adding rows to the ListView and in what way didn't it work?

This is the code im using to add the items to a listview from a form:

Dim item As New ListViewItem(TextBox1.Text)
        item.SubItems.Add(TextBox2.Text)
        item.SubItems.Add(TextBox9.Text)
        item.SubItems.Add(TextBox3.Text)
        item.SubItems.Add(TextBox4.Text)
        item.SubItems.Add(TextBox5.Text)
        item.SubItems.Add(ComboBox2.Text)
        item.SubItems.Add(TextBox10.Text)
        item.SubItems.Add(TextBox13.Text)
        IRSMS.ListView1.Items.AddRange(New ListViewItem() {item})

Just add

txtNumRows.Text = "# of rows is " & ListView1.Items.Count.ToString()

after line 10. By the way. You can simplify line 10 to

IRSMS.ListView1.Items.Add(item)

As you can probably tell, im new to this aha i dont get where i put the code snippet?

i tried adding it to the listview but the word txtnumrows has a red line beneath it saying i should create a method snub for it

I assume txtNumRows is supposed to be a Textbox on your form to display the number of rows...

txtNumRows was a TextBox control I added to my test form to display the result. You can replace it with a control (possible Label) of your choice. I usually prefix my controls with an identifier for the type of control such as

lbl = Label
lvw = ListView
dgv = DatGridView
txt = TextBox
btn = Button
etc

i have no idea what txtnumrows means

txtNumRows would be the name of your textbox where you want to display the count.

The (normal) naming convention for vb.net would be object type|name(camel case)

So txt = TextBox

Example:

Dim sHello As String = "Hello, World!"
'Note the s prefix

Dim iCount As Integer
'Note the i prefix

Dim bApprove As Boolean
'Note the b prefix

Therefore something named:

lblHelloWorld

Would be a label (lbl)

What part of

txtNumRows was a TextBox control I added to my test form to display the result

could possibly be unclear?

all this is great, but im still stuck on how i can get a textbox to show how many items i have in a listview, if we could possibly focus on that i would be greatful :)

If you don't know enough about programming and Visual Basic to be able to understand the help you've been given then it is time to 86 the computer and take up basket weaving.

Jim has provided ample code for displaying the item count of a listview. He has all but write the code (in project) for you. What about the code are you not understanding?

His code seems clear enough to understand. If it's the names of his variables/objects - just rename them to what you need, et voila.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.