In Visual Basic 6.0, control arrays could be used to specify a group of controls that shared a set of events. The controls had to be of the same type, and they had to have the same name.

In Visual Basic .NET, control arrays are no longer supported. Changes to the event model make control arrays unnecessary. Just as control arrays in Visual Basic 6.0 could share events, the event model in Visual Basic .NET allows any event handler to handle events from multiple controls. In effect, this allows you to create groups of controls of disparate types that share the same events.

That came straight out of the MSDN Library. God those control arrays were so handy.

What I'm wanting to do is
1. read all the records from a sequential access text file
2. put them into a string array

I can do these first two, but then I'm wanting to create enough label controls to display all the records, one record per label. You could do this in VB 6.0. God I loved that version.

I thought the purpose of OOP was to make it more efficient and less time-consuming, especially for newer and "better" versions of languages/compilers. It seems in this regard, VB is taking a step backward toward more primitive times. But perhaps I am an idiot and there is something about this I am not aware of about their reasons for doing this.

The bottom line is, I don't know how many records there are going to be, and I want to be able to put my data in my string array into its respective label control, but VB.NET no longer supports INDEX properties.

What can I do?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

you can also do it with: Me.Controls.AddRange(Control[] myControlArray) and you have your problem solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.