I'm tryhing to configure, then build fontconfig version -2.10.1 on Windows XP. My compiler is MinGW 4.4.1.

Initially I try to configure this using MSYS and I get an error telling me I'm missing intl.dll . I eneded up downloading this then runing the ./configure command again and I get another error saying that I'm missing iconv.dll. So I ended up downloading that (it's probaby dodgy) and running ./configure again. I then get another error:

The procedure entry point libintl_fprintf could not be located in the dynamic link library intl.dll

I'm thinking that I should have had these two dll's in my system initially and didn't, they've gone missing for some reason or another. Not sure where to get the right dll's from?

Would I have done something wrong here?

Thanks.

Here's where I am so far.
In order to build Fontconfig you need to have Pkg-Config installed.
In order to install Pkg-Config you need Glib Installed.
In order to install Glib you need GetText installed.
To even configure GetText you need a patch found on this link: http://ingar.satgnu.net/devenv/mingw32/files/gtkglext-1.2.0-gtk-2.20.patch

The patch found on that link doesn't seem to work and I'm not sure why. The reference to it is on this site: http://ingar.satgnu.net/devenv/mingw32/gtk.html#gtkglext .
Given the amount of depencencies Fontconfig has I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I believe I can overide FontConfig's dependency in its configuration file but I"m not sure if that is a good idea? I don't know how to do it either.

Has anyone ever successfully build Fontconfig on Windows XP. I'm using MingW.
If you could give me some tips it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Then, would anyone know how to bypass the need for Fontconfig to call pkg-config? I can find the relevent flags which the error message I get tells me to adjust. Error message below..

configure: WARNING: Cannot find usable expat library. Trying to use libxml2 as fallback.
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... ./configure: line 23146: C:\pkgconfig-bin: is a directory
no
checking for LIBXML2... configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBXML2_CFLAGS
and LIBXML2_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details.

xxxx@XXXX-E0A0BDAF9E /c/fontconfig-2.6.0

Is pkg-config even necessary? I'm just building Fontconfig as a dependency for something else. I've placed screenshots of the configure file for Fontconfig containing the flags the error message above tells me to adjust if I want to overide pkg-config.

EXPAT_LIBS
PKG_CONFIG
LIBXML2_CFLAGS
LIBXML2_LIBS
FC_DEFAULT_FONTS
FC_ADD_FONTS

PKG_CONFIG  path to pkg-config utility
  LIBXML2_CFLAGS
              C compiler flags for LIBXML2, overriding pkg-config
  LIBXML2_LIBS=0
              linker flags for LIBXML2, overriding pkg-config

Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to help
it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

if test "$enable_libxml2" = "yes" -o "$expat" = "no"; then

pkg_failed=no
{ echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking for LIBXML2" >&5
echo $ECHO_N "checking for LIBXML2... $ECHO_C" >&6; }

if test -n "$PKG_CONFIG"; then
    if test -n "$LIBXML2_CFLAGS"; then
        pkg_cv_LIBXML2_CFLAGS="$LIBXML2_CFLAGS"
    else
        if test -n "$PKG_CONFIG" && \
    { (echo "$as_me:$LINENO: \$PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors \"libxml-2.0 >= 2.6\"") >&5
  ($PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "libxml-2.0 >= 2.6") 2>&5
  ac_status=$?
  echo "$as_me:$LINENO: \$? = $ac_status" >&5
  (exit $ac_status); }; then
  pkg_cv_LIBXML2_CFLAGS=`$PKG_CONFIG --cflags "libxml-2.0 >= 2.6" 2>/dev/null`
else
  pkg_failed=yes
fi
    fi
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.