Hi, ive been trying to print out a dictionary item with its List but im so confused about it.

Basically I created a dictionary and I managed to add an Item to the dictionary(as a Key) and List of something (as value)

Dictionary<String, List<string>> dic = new Dictionary<String, List<string>>();

public void addItem(Item newItem)
         {
             List<string> info = new List<string>();
             dic.Add(newItem.getItemName(), info);
             info.Add(newItem.getDescription());
             info.Add(newItem.getManufacturer());
         }

Im confused how am I going to print an Item in the dictionary with its description and manufacturer like if im going to add a code

public void listItemInfo(String itemName)
    {

}

any ideas?

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by tinstaafl

Loops

foreach(String key in dic.Keys) {
    foreach(String item in dic[key]) {
        Console.Write("{0}, ", item);
    }
    Console.WriteLine();
}

dic[key] will give you your List<String> back.

However, I would question why you're adding the strings to this dictionary, rather than creating a list of items. Additionally, the way you're currently doing it, you have no idea of knowing which string corresponds to the manufacturer or the description.

Edited by Ketsuekiame

if newItem is the structure your passing you could make your dictionary of that type, then add newItem directly to the dictionary. something like this might work:

Dictionary<String, Item> dic = new Dictionary<String, Item>();

public void addItem(Item newItem)
    {
        dic.Add(newItem.getItemName(), newItem);
    }
    public void listItemInfo(String itemName)
    {
            Console.Write("Name: {0}\n", dic[itemName].getItemName());
            Console.Write("Description: {0}\n", dic[itemName].getDescription());
            Console.Write("Manufacturer: {0}\n\n", dic[itemName].getManufacturer());
    }   

Edited by tinstaafl

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.