1.what is the Visual studio c++ run time environement that is asked to be installed when running programs? Is it the CLR?

2.Can we use the same CLR for every .NET language?

3.I get that languages are first compiled into an object file and then interpreted into machine language by a CLI with the help of JIT compiler. Why Just in time is its name?

4.what is the type of the compiled object code? Assembly? Assembly like (is it the MSIL) ?

5.is everything languge compiled in to assembly before it is executed at anypoint?

6.What is interpreted? is anything actually interpreted (no compiling)?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

1) The C++ dll has nothing to do with CLR
2) You have to use the CLR or it's not a .Net language
3) It compiles it 'just in time' for execution
4) It's MSIL
5) Sort of. There have been specialized processors built that 'understand' a specific language and run it directly (these languages are still stored in a MSIL like way, though). Pascal being one of them.
6) It means that instead of compiling the code, each line is 'interpreted' as to what it means and executed then. F# has an interpreted mode, most Basic languages do. If you look around, you'll find many interpreted languages.

commented: Fine answer. +14

hi I mean, the JVM interpret it with help of JIT compiler. Is it done line by line or the whole file is compiled again in to machine code, it is called JIT compiler

n time' for execution

n time' for execution

It's MSIL

uge compiled in to assem

6) It means that instead of compiling the code, each line is 'interpreted' as to what it means and executed then. F# has an interpreted mode, most Basic languages do. If you look around, you'll find many interpreted languages.

Whole file is compiled by the JIT compiler.

I've been programming in .NET professionally for almost a decade and I still think of this when people say "CLR". :D

@deceptikon: Have this book on my amazon wish list! Is it really worth the buy, even for a non pro like me?

Simply download it from a torrent :p

@deceptikon: Have this book on my amazon wish list! Is it really worth the buy, even for a non pro like me?

I think it's worth it, but only if you're not already well versed in classic algorithms and data structures.

Simply download it from a torrent :p

That constitutes copyright violation, is illegal, and as such is also a violation of Daniweb's rules. Please don't encourage illegal behavior.

@decepticon: thanks for the advice.
@silvercats: Consider me old fashioned, but I like the physical presence of a book to read, more than an e-book. Books still will have a long reason of existance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.