Group,

I'm thinking I may want to use the Date data type in SQL Server. However I'm still very unclear how to read, write and compare using this kind of data type. I realize this has a time component which is of no importance right now (it will be later though). Can someone help me understand how to use this? Here are some of my question:

1) is there a way to create a "null" or blank date?
2) Visual Basic has the Today.Date commands. I'll need to compare a date created by the user to what will be in the date field of the data table (formated as a date data type). How is this done?
3) If I have the user enter the date manually, in what format does it need to be in? yyyymmdd?

Feel free to elaborate. I clearly don't understand enough about this kind of data type to really ask good questions.

Thanks,

Don

Recommended Answers

1.Read this

1. You can compare date function using DateTime.Compare(date1, date2)
    Ex :

Dim date1 As Date = #08/01/2009 12:00AM#
    Dim date2 As Date = #08/01/2009 12:00PM#
    Dim result As Integer = DateTime.Compare(date1, date2)
    Dim relationship As …
Jump to Post

If I want to leave the date field blank, would that be a "NULL", or is there another entry that should be used?

You can use SqlDateTime.Null.
Read this : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqltypes.sqldatetime.null%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

Dim DateVal As SqlDateTime
DateVal …
Jump to Post

All 4 Replies

1.Read this
2. You can compare date function using DateTime.Compare(date1, date2)
Ex :

Dim date1 As Date = #08/01/2009 12:00AM#
    Dim date2 As Date = #08/01/2009 12:00PM#
    Dim result As Integer = DateTime.Compare(date1, date2)
    Dim relationship As String 

If result < 0 Then
       relationship = "is earlier than" 
    ElseIf result = 0 Then
       relationship = "is the same time as"          
    Else
       relationship = "is later than" 
    End If

Console.WriteLine("{0} {1} {2}", date1, relationship, date2)
    ' The example displays the following output: 
    '    8/1/2009 12:00:00 AM is earlier than 8/1/2009 12:00:00 PM

More info : MSDN and this article

3.It's depend on your region. By default, the date format for SQL server is in U.S. date format MM/DD/YY.
Read this

JX_Man,

I ran your code. It worked, but more importantly, it explained a lot. I'm going to use this.

The next question is: If I want to leave the date field blank, would that be a "NULL", or is there another entry that should be used?

Also, since this is entered into a textbox, is there a date conversion that is required to write this to the data table?

Thanks for the help!!

Don

If I want to leave the date field blank, would that be a "NULL", or is there another entry that should be used?

You can use SqlDateTime.Null.
Read this : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqltypes.sqldatetime.null%28v=vs.80%29.aspx

Dim DateVal As SqlDateTime
DateVal = SqlDateTime.Null
cmd.Parameters("@Date").Value = DateVal

Also, since this is entered into a textbox, is there a date conversion that is required to write this to the data table?

cmd.Parameters("@Date").Value = DateTime.Parse(txtDate.Text)

Kudo's, Jx_Man! Thanks for this. It's perfect and exactly what I needed.

You're the man!