Hi, I am working on a program that uses an array of integers(1 and 0) to represent a gray code. For this to work I first have to take an integer and convert it to the binary, then convert the binary to gray code. The for loops i use to do this are shown below.

//Calculate Next State
     my_timer_UI32++;
     for(i = 0; i < SIZE; i ++){   //Decimal to binary conversion
          graycode_I16[SIZE-1-i] = (int)((my_timer_UI32 >> i) & 1);
    }

for(i = SIZE-1; i > 0; i --){ //binary to gray code
        graycode_I16[i] = graycode_I16[i] ^ graycode_I16[i - 1];
    }

My problem with this is that this graycode holds time in milliseconds so inorder to increment this I have to increment the decimal time in ms, then convert to binary, then convert to graycode again and this is taking far more time than I would like. So my question is, would it be possible to increment graycode_I16 to so that it would increment the ms by 1? Hopefully this is detailed enough, if you need more details let me know.
Thanks!

You can increment using something like this assuming a grey code number with n bits numbered from LSB 0 to MSB n-1

Get the count of the number of bits set to 1

if count is even
    invert bit 0
else
   set j = the number of the least significant bit set to 1
   if (j == n-1)
       invert bit j
   else
       invert bit j+1
   endif
endif

I kind of worked this out emperically rather than finding a proof for it so you may wish to verify it over a wide range of numbers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.