Heading Here

Hi there, I have been googling and been on youtube to find a solution. Now I need your help. I have a little problem that is bugging

public partial class Form1 : Form
    {
        public Form1(){
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }
        //declare the variables you will use in the randomizer above the code block
        private char[] letters = new char[] { 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g' };
        private char secretLetter = ' ';  //I am not sure if this is correct????
        private char myGuess;
        private string GameResult;
        private void btnRandom_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            Random rand = new Random();
            //the random number must have a range of numbers to choose from.
            int myRandomNumber = rand.Next(0, letters.Length - 1); 
            secretLetter = letters[myRandomNumber];
        }
        private void btnCheck_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            //converting a string to a char
              myGuess = char.Parse(txtMessage.Text);             
            if (char.IsWhiteSpace(myGuess))
              {
                  MessageBox.Show("Please choose a letter between a and g!");
              }
              else
              {
                  if (secretLetter == myGuess)
                  {
                      MessageBox.Show("Congratulations, you guessed correctly");
                  }
                  else
                  {
                      GameResult = string.Format("Sorry your guess of {0} is incorrect, the secretLetter is {1}",
                      myGuess, secretLetter);
                      //secretLetter **s not recognized by my code******************
                  }
                 // MessageBox.Show(GameResult);   
              }
        }
    }
}

me. You need to first create a form with a Randomize button, a textbox and a Check button.
The question: when the user clicks on the randomize button, load a char arry with the letters a,b,c,d,e,f,g. The computer must then choose a random character from this array. Do not show the user the character yet. The user must enter their guess of what they think the character is into the textbox. Once the check button is checked, show the user a message stating whether the guess was correct or not.*****This is my code:*****************************

namespace Unit_3_Practical_Pretest_1

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Line 9 is correct.
Line 16 don't use Lenght-1, use Lenght. rand.Next will automatically have a range from 0 to Lenght-1

ddanbe said everything, just put your messagebox at line 39 to line 38 so it doesnt show two times when the letter is guessed. Just an advice if you want to put on line 29 instead of

if(char.IsWhiteSpace(myguess)) 

to

if (txtMessage.Text==" " || String.IsNullOrEmpty(txtMessage.Text))

and replace line 22 to line 28.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.