Everyone,

I am having a problem with trying to get this to prompt the user for the correct input. I would like to user to be required to enter numbers only after it prompts him/her at "How much money would you like to convert today? (above 100): " My question is what is the easiest way to get this done?

Also, I am a newbie to this and this is my first programming class so please break things down so even I can understand them.

Thank you for your help.

#include <stdio.h>
 int main (int argc, char** argv)

{

float name; 		    		    		    		    		//declares a variable "name"
 float canada; 		    		    		    		    		//declares a variable "canada"
 float sa; 		    		    		    		    		//declares a variable "sa"
 float botswana; 	    		    		    		    		//declares a variable "botswana"
 float china; 		    		    		    		    		//declares a variable "china"
 float russia; 		    		    		    		    		//declares a variable "russia"
 float amt; 		    		    		    		    		//declares a variable "amt"
 int correctItemsRead;

printf("\n"); 		    		    		    		    		//Skips a line
 printf("Currency Conversion\n"); 	    		    		    			//Displays Currency Conversion to screen
 printf("I can convert US dollars to the following currencies: \n"); 		    		    	//Prints statement to the screen
 printf("Canadian Dollars\nSouth African Rand\nBotswana Pula\nChina Renminbi\nRussian Rubles\n"); 	    	//Lists the different currencies that will be converted 

do															 		    		    		//This says to do what is in the braces at least once
 {

printf("How much money would you like to convert today? (above 100): ");
 correctItemsRead = scanf("%f", &amt);
 }
 while ((amt <= (float) 100) && (correctItemsRead == 1)); 		    		    		// this says that if amt <= 100 do what is in the braces again
 		    		    		    		    			//(float) tells the compiler to treat the value next to it 
 		    		    		    		    			//like a float instead of a literal int

printf("I would be happy to help you with that, Thank you.\n"); 		    		    	//Prints statement to the screen

canada=1.324*amt;     		    		    		    		//Sets "canada" to 1.324 x "amt" 
 	sa=6.865*amt;	    		    		    		    		//Sets "sa" to 6.865 x "amt"
 	botswana=4.558*amt;     		    		    		    		//Sets "botswana" to 4.558 x "amt"
 	china=8.265*amt;     		    		    		    		//Sets "china" to 8.265 x "amt"
 	russia=29.234*amt;     		    		    		    		//Sets "russia" to 29.234 x "amt"

printf("In Canadian Dollars you would have = %.2f\n",canada); 		    		    		//Displays dollar equivilant to user input as Canadian Dollars
 printf("In South African Rand you would have = %.2f\n",sa); 		    		    		//Displays dollar equivilant to user input as Canadian Dollars
 printf("In Botswana Pula you would have = %.2f\n",botswana); 		    		    		//Displays dollar equivilant to user input as Canadian Dollars 
 printf("In China Renminbi you would have = %.2f\n",china); 		    		    		//Displays dollar equivilant to user input as Canadian Dollars
 printf("In Russian Rubles you would have = %.2f\n",russia); 		    		    		//Displays dollar equivilant to user input as Canadian Dollars 

printf("I would go for the Russian Rubles. At least you'll feel rich!\n"); 		    			//Prints statement to screen

printf("By the way, Could I get your name please, "); 		    		    			//Prints atatement to the screen and capture users name

scanf("%s",&name); 	    		    		    		    		//Captures user input
 printf("You have a wonderful adventure,%s.\n",&name); 		    		    			//Prints users input to the screen 

getchar(); 

return 0;
 }

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

u are almost there. the scanf function returns teh number of correctly read variables. in your while loop, u are testing:
while ((amt <= (float) 100) && (correctItemsRead == 1));

but actually it should be:
while ((amt <= (float) 100) && (correctItemsRead != 1));

when it returns 1, u want to break out of the loop, not the other way around.

hey you are really done pa...try it i think th latter is correct

commented: Thank you for bumping a 6.5 year post with an absolutely worthless response. -3

You have declared the name as a float variable. Change it to a char array

Also the correct way to accept a string via scanf statement is
scanf("%s",input);

PS: Using scanf to take user i/p is a bad idea. It usually leads to a wide varieties of problems. Use fgets for taking i/p from the user

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.