Member Avatar for humorousone

In the application i'm working on, information will be saved to a database file which is located in the same directory as the executable application.

In order for this file to be accessable for the executable while in a visual studio project, i would usually place it in the debug folder, then later on package it into an installer once the executable was compiled.

The problem is, i've made a move to visual studio online for my version control, and as a result there's now nothing in my project's directory on my local machine.

• Is there any way to upload files directly to the project folder in visual studio online?
  • Alternatively, is there a way to keep the project files themselves local without having to upload and download them manually for version control?

Thank,

~ Alex.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you don't add it to source control it will still exist on disk. Part of the build process, though, will be to copy your localdb to the correct location.

If you add your local db as a file in your project, then set it as "Copy to Output path" it should copy it to your Debug/Release folder when you build.

If you're using VS Online, do you have Azure? Set up a small SQL Web server and use that during development. Once you've finished development, you can copy the schma, seed your localdb and deploy as normal.

Member Avatar for humorousone

If you don't add it to source control it will still exist on disk. Part of the build process, though, will be to copy your localdb to the correct location.
If you add your local db as a file in your project, then set it as "Copy to Output path" it should copy it to your Debug/Release folder when you build

Thanks for this answer. I forgot to mark this as solved.
Unfortunately, I don't have azure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.