I'm using a timer which counts up on a button click when i press it, and when it reaches the time i desire, usually around the 45 minute mark i click my other button which stops the timer and the time remains static, so if i click my button to stop and my label says "45:34" then it will just stay like that as a static label. This is fine, i have done all this with no problem. The problem i have though is being able to resume this timer but start it from "45:00" instead of "00:00"

Dim starttime As DateTime

'Timer settings'

Private Sub Timer3_Tick(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Timer3.Tick
        Dim timedifference As TimeSpan = DateTime.Now.Subtract(starttime)
        Dim newdate As DateTime = timedifference.ToString
        Label7.Text = newdate.ToString("mm:ss")
    End Sub

'Stops/pauses the timer'

Private Sub Button8_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button8.Click
        Timer2.Stop() 'This is my other timer, not related to this'
        Timer3.Stop() 'This is the timer which controls the label ie the ticking minutes'
        Label8.Text = "Match Paused..."
        Button7.Enabled = True
    End Sub

'When i click this button the timer starts counting from 00:00'

Private Sub Button7_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button7.Click
        Timer3.Start()
        starttime = DateTime.Now

When i click a seperate button, let's say button9 for example, the timer should reset to "45:00" and start counting up in label7 just like it did before.

I believe it involves part of this code

starttime = DateTime.Now

But instead of 'Now' it would be something else?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Dim timedifference As TimeSpan = DateTime.Now.AddMinutes("45").Subtract(starttime)

Thanks for the reply.

I add

Dim timedifference As TimeSpan

In the public class, but where do i add the rest of the code? Not sure if i'm reading it right.

Is this not right

Private Sub Button14_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button14.Click
        Timer3.Start()
        timedifference = DateTime.Now.AddMinutes("45").Subtract(starttime)

Do i need to make a new timer? I think i do.

in the timer tick event, you can also try if statement

Private Sub Timer3_Tick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Timer3.Tick
        If label7.text >= "45:00" Then
            Dim timedifference As TimeSpan = DateTime.Now.AddMinutes("45").Subtract(starttime)
        Else
        End If
    End Sub

When i try that code in a new timer i get the error "Additional information: Conversion from string "735323.13:18:46.3192731" to type 'Date' is not valid."

My original code for the timer3 which counts from 00:00 works fine but when i tried the last code you posted it to count from 45:00 it crashes.

I get it now. Thanks for your help. Managed to get it working.

Is there a way to pause the clock at all? and then have a button to resume the clock at the time which was last?

So this adds time on, but what about to resume?
I know the original question was answered but this is useful to me too.

Thanks for your help with my threads.

Resume Button

Dim minutes As String
    Dim seconds As String

Private Sub ResumeTime_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ResumeTime.Click
        minutes = Label7.Text.Substring(0, 2)
        seconds = Label7.Text.Replace(minutes & ":", "")
        Timer3.Start()
    End Sub

Tick event

Private Sub Timer3_Tick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Timer3.Tick
        Dim timedifference As TimeSpan = DateTime.Now.AddMinutes(minutes).AddSeconds(seconds).Subtract(starttime)
    End Sub

Thanks, i'll check that out later.

I've come into a bit of a problem. The timer only goes up to 60 minutes and then restarts. Is there anything i should change to make it go to 100, or 200 even?

since this thread is solved, daniweb members will visit this thread rarely so i recomand you start a new one. and i dont know the answer to your last question.
good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.