Right now I'm trying to create an oppish translator. That is, after a consonant or several consonants in a row, you add 'op' to those letters. As an example, cow would become copowop or street which would become stropeetop. This is what I have so far:

def oppish(phrase): #with this function I'm going to append 'op' or 'Op' to a string.
    consonants =  ['b','c','d','f','g','h','i','j','k','l','m','n','p','q','r','s','t','v','w','x','y','z']
    vowels = ['a', 'e', 'i', 'o', 'u'] #this and the preceding line create a variable for the vowels we will be looking to append 'op' to.    
    if phrase == '':    #error case. if the input is nothing then the program will return False.
        return False
    phrase_List = list(' ' + phrase) # turns the input phrase into a list which allows for an        index to search for consonants later on.
    new_phrase_List = list() #creates new list for oppish translation
    for i in range(1, len(phrase_List)):
        if phrase_List[i] == phrase_List[1]:
        elif phrase_List[i] in consonants:
            new_phrase_List.append('op') #adds op to the end of a consonant within the list and then appends it to the newlist
        new_phrase_List.append(phrase_List[i]) #if the indexed letter is not a consonant it is appended to the new_phrase_list.
    print 'Translation: ' + ''.join(new_phrase_List)

The only problem here is that the above code yields this

Translation: ssoptopreeopt
I'm not sure what I've done wrong, I've tried going through a visualizer but to no avail. All help is appreciated! :)

3 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Gribouillis

Think about where you are going to insert op if the phrase is street. You are going to insert op when you meet the first e, because it is not a consonant and the previous letter is a consonant. You are also going to insert op at the end of the string because the previous letter is a consonnant. So, an algorithm would go this way, in pseudo-code.

previous_is_a_consonant = False
for letter in phrase:
    if letter is a consonant:
        previous_is_a_consonant = True
        if previous_is_a_consonant:
            append 'op'
        previous_is_a_consonant = False
    append letter
if previous_is_a_consonant:
    append 'op'

Edited by Gribouillis

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.