Hello dear memebers,
after searching for a multiple chat client i have come across a multithreading chat system which i have attached the code .I have taken the code of the server class and added it to my application form as well as the gui.My question is(well i know it will be sth easy in the end!) what i have done wrong and the server cannot send the message to the client.I do not get any errors,but the server starts and when sending the message it doesnt display it on the client screen.
If i run the server and the client from their original file and not from my application in which i have embedded them they run withount problems.It happens only if i run the server from ,my form and the client from the original file.

Imports System.IO
Imports System.Net.Sockets
Public Class ConnectedClient
    Private cli As TcpClient 'decleare a tcp client which will be the client that we assign to an instance of this class
    Private uniqueid As String 'this will be used for the name property
    Public Property name ''This will be the name of the ID containing its Unique ID 
        Get
            Return uniqueid 'when we want to get it, it will return the Unique ID 
        End Get
        Set(ByVal value)
            uniqueid = value 'Used for setting the name
        End Set
    End Property

Sub New(ByVal client As TcpClient)

Dim r As New Random 'create a new random to serve as way to create our unique ID
        Dim x As String = String.Empty 'declare a new variable to hold the ID
        For i = 0 To 7 'we are goign to have an ID of 7 randomly generated characters
            x &= Chr(r.Next(65, 89)) 'create a generate dnumber between 65 and 89 and get the letter that has the same ascii value (A-Z)
            '                         and add it onto the ID string
        Next
        Me.name = client.Client.RemoteEndPoint.ToString().Remove(client.Client.RemoteEndPoint.ToString().LastIndexOf(":")) & " - " & x 'set the name to the Unique ID 
        cli = client 'assign the client specified to the TCP client variable to we can operate with it
        cli.GetStream.BeginRead(New Byte() {0}, 0, 0, AddressOf read, Nothing) 'start reading using the read subroutine

End Sub
    Public Event gotmessage(ByVal message As String, ByVal client As ConnectedClient)    'this is raised when we get a message from the client
    Public Event disconnected(ByVal client As ConnectedClient)    'this is raised when we get the client disconnects
    Sub read(ByVal ar As IAsyncResult) 'this will process all messages being recieved
        Try
            Dim sr As New StreamReader(cli.GetStream) 'initialize a new streamreader which will read from the client's stream
            Dim msg As String = sr.ReadLine() 'create a new variable which will be used to hold the message being read
            RaiseEvent gotmessage(msg, Me) 'tell the server a message has been recieved. Me is passed as an argument which represents 
            '                               the current client which it has recieved the message from to perform any client specific
            '                               tasks if needed
            cli.GetStream.BeginRead(New Byte() {0}, 0, 0, AddressOf read, Nothing) 'continue reading from the stream
        Catch ex As Exception
            Try 'if an error occurs in the reading purpose, we will try to read again to see if we still can read
                Dim sr As New StreamReader(cli.GetStream) 'initialize a new streamreader which will read from the client's stream
                Dim msg As String = sr.ReadLine() 'create a new variable which will be used to hold the message being read
                RaiseEvent gotmessage(msg, Me) 'tell the server a message has been recieved. Me is passed as an argument which represents 
                '                               the current client which it has recieved the message from to perform any client specific
                '                               tasks if needed
                cli.GetStream.BeginRead(New Byte() {0}, 0, 0, AddressOf read, Nothing) 'continue reading from the stream
            Catch ' IF WE STILL CANNOT READ
                RaiseEvent disconnected(Me)  'WE CAN ASSUME THE CLIENT HAS DISCONNECTED
            End Try

End Try
    End Sub
    Sub senddata(ByVal message As String) 'this is used to deal with sending out messages
        Dim sw As New StreamWriter(cli.GetStream) 'declare a new streamwrite to write to the stream between the client and the server
        sw.WriteLine(message) 'write the message to the stream
        sw.Flush()
    End Sub
End Class

SERVER CLASS

Dim clients As New Hashtable 'new database (hashtable) to hold the clients
    Sub recieved(ByVal msg As String, ByVal client As ConnectedClient)
        Dim message() As String = msg.Split("|") 'make an array with elements of the message recieved
        Select Case message(0) 'process by the first element in the array
            Case "CHAT" 'if it's CHAT
                messageToDisplay.Text &= client.name & " says: " & " " & message(1) & vbNewLine 'add the message to the chatbox
                sendallbutone(message(1), client.name) 'this will update all clients with the new message
                '                                       and it will not send the message to the client it recieved it from :)
            Case "LOGIN" 'A client has connected
                clients.Add(client, client.name) 'add the client to our database (a hashtable)
                ListBox1.Items.Add(client.name) 'add the client to the listbox to display the new user
        End Select

End Sub
    Sub sendallbutone(ByVal message As String, ByVal exemptclientname As String) 'this sends to all clients except the one specified
        Dim entry As DictionaryEntry 'declare a variable of type dictionary entry
        Try
            For Each entry In clients 'for each dictionary entry in the hashtable with all clients (clients)
                If entry.Value <> exemptclientname Then 'if the entry IS NOT the exempt client name
                    Dim cli As ConnectedClient = CType(entry.Key, ConnectedClient) ' cast the hashtable entry to a connection class
                    cli.senddata(message) 'send the message to it
                End If
            Next
        Catch
        End Try
    End Sub
    Sub sendsingle(ByVal message As String, ByVal clientname As String)
        Try
            For Each entry In clients 'for each dictionary entry in the hashtable with all clients (clients)
                If entry.Value = clientname Then 'if the entry is belongs to the client specified
                    Dim cli As ConnectedClient = CType(entry.Key, ConnectedClient) ' cast the hashtable entry to a connection class
                End If
            Next
        Catch
        End Try

End Sub
    Sub senddata(ByVal message As String) 'this sends a message to all connected clients
        Try
            Next  'go to the next client
        Catch
        End Try

End Sub
    Sub disconnected(ByVal client As ConnectedClient) 'if a client is disconnected, this is raised
        clients.Remove(client) 'remove the client from the hashtable
        ListBox1.Items.Remove(client.name) 'remove it from our listbox
    End Sub
    Sub listen(ByVal port As Integer)
        Try
            Dim t As New TcpListener(IPAddress.Any, port) 'declare a new tcplistener
            t.Start() 'start the listener
            Do

Dim client As New ConnectedClient(t.AcceptTcpClient) 'initialize a new connected client
                AddHandler client.gotmessage, AddressOf recieved 'add the handler which will raise an event when a message is recieved
                AddHandler client.disconnected, AddressOf disconnected 'add the handler which will raise an event when the client disconnects

Loop Until False
        Catch
        End Try

End Sub
    Private Sub listen_port(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles listen_port_number.Click
        Dim listener As New System.Threading.Thread(AddressOf listen) 'initialize a new thread for the listener so our GUI doesn't lag
        listener.IsBackground = True
        listener.Start(portnumber.Text) 'start the listener, with the port specified as a parameter (textbox1 is our port textbox)
        listen_port_number.Enabled = False 'disable our button so the user cannot try to make any further listeners which will result in errors
    End Sub

Private Sub sendmessage_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles sendmessage_.Click
        senddata("CHAT|" & messageToType.Text) 'send teh data with CHAT as the header so the clietn knows to process the message as a chat message
        messageToDisplay.Text &= "You Say: " & " " & messageToType.Text & vbNewLine 'add a message to the chat textbox showing we have sent a public message
    End Sub

Private Sub SendToolStripMenuItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles SendToolStripMenuItem.Click
        Try
            For Each cli As String In ListBox1.SelectedItems 'for each selected client in the selected listbox of our clients
                sendsingle("CHAT|" & ToolStripTextBox1.Text, cli) 'send a message to the only the selected client by providing it's name as a second parameter
                messageToDisplay.Text &= "To " & cli & " :" & " " & ToolStripTextBox1.Text.Split("|")(1) & vbNewLine 'add a message on textbox3 which suggests a private message 
            Next 'go to the next selected client if any
        Catch
        End Try

End Sub

CLIENT

Imports System.Net, System.Text
Imports System.Net.Sockets
Imports System.IO

Public Class Client
    Dim t As New TcpClient

Sub connect(ByVal ip As String, ByVal port As Integer)

Try
            t.Connect(ip, port) 'tries to connect
            If t.Connected Then 'if connected, start the reading procedure
                t.GetStream.BeginRead(New Byte() {0}, 0, 0, AddressOf doread, Nothing)
                login() 'send our details to the server
            End If
        Catch ex As Exception
            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(10000) 'if an error occurs sleep for 10 seconds
            connect(ip, port) 'try to reconnect
        End Try
    End Sub
    Sub login()
        senddata("LOGIN|") 'log in to the chatserver
    End Sub
    Sub senddata(ByVal message As String)
        Dim sw As New StreamWriter(t.GetStream) 'declare a new streamwriter
        sw.WriteLine(message) 'write the message
        sw.Flush()

End Sub
    Sub messagerecieved(ByVal message As String)
        Dim msg() As String = message.Split("|") ' if a message is recieved, split it to process it
        Select Case msg(0) 'process it by the first element in the split array

Case "CHAT"
                TextBox4.Text &= "Server: " & " " & msg(1) & vbNewLine
        End Select

End Sub
    Sub doread(ByVal ar As IAsyncResult)
        Try
            Dim sr As New StreamReader(t.GetStream) 'declare a new streamreader to read fromt eh network stream
            Dim msg As String = sr.ReadLine() 'the msg is what is bing read
            messagerecieved(msg) 'start processing the message
            t.GetStream.BeginRead(New Byte() {0}, 0, 0, AddressOf doread, Nothing) 'continue to read

Catch ex As Exception
            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(10000) 'if an error occurs, wait for 10 seconds
            connect(TextBox1.Text, TextBox2.Text) 'try to reconnect
        End Try
    End Sub
    Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        connect(TextBox1.Text, TextBox2.Text) 'connect textbox1 as ip and textbox2 as port
    End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
        senddata("CHAT|" & TextBox3.Text) 'send the data with CHAT| as header
        TextBox4.Text &= "You: " & " " & TextBox3.Text.Split("|")(0) & vbNewLine
    End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub
End Class

I have checked if there is anything wrog with the ports or the ip but it only listen to one port and i use it through my network card 127.0.0.1.
Thank you all in advance.

guys it is not that i have not tried,i have already learnt how to create a new chat system but in this code i still cannot find what goes worng.i coded it from scratch and again it doesnt work properly.

Hi, please use "CheckForIllegalCrossThreadCalls = False" on Form1.Load

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.